1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate speader pea gravel?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snowaway, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Hey does anyone know of a tailgate spreader that will spread pea gravel. I don't see very many around here. Thanks
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i have a Curtis that is the same as a SnowEx 575 (i think) and i spread limestone chips so I dont see why it wouldnt spread pea gravel

but why do you want to spread pea gravel?:confused:
  3. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Pea gravel is all anyone uses here. To tell you the truth I don't have any idea why, I have never had anything to do with sanding before. I got a call from a med center wanting a quote for plow/sand I think it could be juicy. Walk behind speader work? Not a real big lot.
  4. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

We have spread limestone chips (same as pea gravel) on one of our gravel lots that got icy, but on a paved lot I would think that wouldn't be a good idea. They may slip on the gravel instead of the ice??
  5. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Ok still no luck, I got the contract and am going to do it by hand untill I can find a speader that will work. I have talked to our local Boss dealer and he said that they have never sold a tailgate speader in this town due to the fact that it will void the warrenty the second you put pea gravel in it. the only local dealers we have are Boss and Blizard so everything has to be barged from Seattle. That makes for very slow parts, so the speader would have to be reliable.It would suck to get it here put some gravel in it and watch the parts fly! One more thing it would have to be able to spead ice melt as well. ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Cretebaby if you catch this I checked out the SnowEX 575 I Didn't see anything about lime in the spects. but did on curtis, but all I found were for utility vehicals. Did you get the optional flow gate?
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If I were you I would look into a 2 stage tailgate unit. SnowEx makes a 1875 that will spread anything from salt to a salt/sand mix. It sure it will spread your pea gravel. Watch out for window's, I'm sure this spreader will effectively put the gravel through window's.
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i have the Curtis Fast Cast 2000 which is the same as SnowEx (pretty sure about the 575) it does NOT have a flow gate and spread clean limestone chip that we got at the ready mix plant

it did very well with the chips that would be very similisr to the pea gravel:drinkup:
  8. keitha

keitha Senior Member

9. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Pea gravel? That's gotta be one of the wierdest things I've ever heard. Wouldn't that be like spreading marbels?:confused:
  10. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

But the spread pattern is HUGE! :D
  11. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I realy like the look of the airflow, says it will spread anything. Have you ever used one? Do you know of any dealers? I sent them a message we'll see if they contact me on monday.
  12. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

airflow mss, can. not sure I would want to myself.
  13. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Bump....... :bluebounc:redbounce
  14. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

I saw that being used once when I was in Missouri, yes it was strange, but I heard the windshield replacement people loved it.
  15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Thats what i was thinking you would think it would increase slip and falls
  16. keitha

keitha Senior Member

We had Two at the place I worked. Had them for about 10 years. worked well, but spread material quickly. Lots of refilling. We added an addition to the end gate so it won't spread salt so heavy. Only problem if you will is that about every two years we were replacing the electric motor. But considering the amount of material we ran thru them each year cost was reasonable/ ton. We built tube steel horse collars off the bumper to protect the spinner. Sorry no pics.
    Might I ask why pea stone?
  17. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I know they don't use salt here because of the rust issue. The city is the only one who uses sand or chemical deicer, dont know what chemical. All the local plow guys that I know of spead mostly pea gravel. Like I said before I am not sure why. But that is what is considered standard practice here. From personal ex. it is not bad to walk on until the spring thaw when its on bare pavment. Then you charge them to clean it up. We get a fair amount of ice pack in the parking lots though the winter, It lives there until spring. Is this differant elsewhere?
  18. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Look at the Western Proflow 2, as well. I have two of those, and that would work.
  19. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

another vote for the stainless steel Air Flow unit, its a tuff spreader, will do any maerial you want.