1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate sits higher than level because cables are too short, solution

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by coke813, Jun 1, 2016.

1. coke813

coke813 Member

Ok, I know some of you out there must haul things in your bed that are long enough that you must have the gate down. I'm surprised I can't find any other threads complaining that the tailgate angles up. When I load long lumber in the truck, it only touches the bed at the very front, and the rest of the weight sits on the end of the tailgate. It sure seems like a foolish design to me. My old truck ('98) had a tailgate that sat completely flat with the bed.

Anyway, I found an extension link from Rider Tailgate that adds 1" length to the cables, so the tailgate is lower than the bed. http://www.ridertailgate.com/
    Now long loads actually rest on the truck bed. if its a really long load, a 2x4 fits across the tailgate to help hold it up.

The other benefit to these links is if you ever load things with ramps, the angle you drive up and over the tailgate becomes easier and safer. plus they are easy to remove if you want the tailgate higher again.

I just wanted to post and see if others had any thoughts or solutions. I had thought about reaming out the holes on the end of my tailgate cables, but I don't want to weaken them that much.

Here are some photos after the install:

Z-tailgate 1.jpg

Z-tailgate 2.jpg
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Interesting.....many trucks had factory recall for the poor design also.
  3. coke813

coke813 Member

You are correct, I have heard of the older trucks being recalled for new cables. But from what I know, that was just to replace crappy cables with slightly less crappy cables of the same length. I think that only affected up to 2007 model year.

I don't know what year they switched from having a flat tailgate to one that is angled up. I do believe that the tailgate cables on all GM trucks from 2008 to today can be replaced by the same aftermarket part (correct me if I'm wrong). I also believe ALL trucks, from half-ton to HD, use the same tailgate cables. Again, I may be wrong, but hopefully the collective knowledge of this group may assist someone in the future who has issues with the way their tailgate sits.
  4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

My Ford sits level. Sitting slightly high seems smart to me.
  5. coke813

coke813 Member

Slightly higher would make sense. But the tip of the tailgate is over 1" above "flat" bed level in the stock trucks. I thought there was something wrong with mine at first, but I confirmed that ALL of them are built this way. And yes, I have also looked at newer fords and dodges, and it appears that this is a GM only problem.