1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Sanders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sdplowing, Aug 30, 2009.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Right now I'm doing a little research on tailgate sanders and I'm looking for any feedback on the few brands out there. I want to go with a tailgate sander because: 1) I don't have the ability to load bulk, B) I'm only doing resi, so I want to be able to switch from sand to salt. So If anyone has the Fisher/Western Pro Flow, the Snowex Bulk Pro, or the Airflo mini let me know what you think of them.:drinkup:

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have had both the Western Pro Flo 2 and the Airflo mini. They will both spread salt or sand. They are both pretty hard to put on the truck by yourself but you can take them off. That is for the hitch mount type. The Western is larger so it will hold more but it is also harder to see around when backing up. I would buy either one again, most likely the Airflo because it is easier to see around.

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

How big are these resi's??? I would never imagine spreading on a resi except by hand. Is it worth the expense?

4. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Question about the Airflo. From the limited info on the Airflo site it looks like the spreader sticks out a mile. Is that a bad pic or does it really stick out that far?

5. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Other than the guys plowing for a six pack, everyone uses a spreader. I have one that's nearly 500' long.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Less then the Western, I am going to guess 2' tops. There is a company here that has 2 of them and they rest them on the bumper and then tie them back to the middle stake pocket.

It says in the specs at the bottom, 27". Not sure if some of that is inside the bumper.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  7. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have an airflo hitch mount. It sticks out approx 37 inches past the trailer hitch receiver.

8. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

37 inches. How often does that get backed into snowbanks?

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Never, he uses his tractors to move snow. LOL

If you don't buy the hitch mount you can sit most of the salter on the bed of the truck and have the spinner hanging out the back.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If the driver is careful....NEVER
    I have used a Western tailgate spreader for resi's and they work great.
    Just make sure the sand is dry.

11. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Do you know how much the Airflo's are going for?
    Around here there is no such thing as dry sand. Salt sand mix is stored out in the open at the sand pits.

12. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have not backed ito a snowbank yet but like CET says I don't plow with the truck. As soon as I finish salting the salter comes off the truck. The Air flo is a great little salter.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

An Airflo in Ontario goes between $3500-4000. But so does a Western Pro Flo 2 and in the US they are at least $1000 cheaper.