1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate sand spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by B Nick, Jun 18, 2009.

1. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

I live in British Columbia Canada, just wanted to know if anyone knew of and companies, website, distributers for tailgate sand spreaders? Thanks in advance.

2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

3. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

We ship to Canada. We have all kinds of different types and brands of spreaders.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you really want to spread sand, bite the bullet and get a V-box. I was going to buy a Fisher Tailgate spreader. Have to buy the really good one to spread sand. Spent less than a grand more for the PolyCaster. Best move I ever made. The extra weight makes plowing easier, I can load with a tractor/skidsteer, and make more money.

5. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

This is very true

6. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Great Thanks guys!

But...I am a fairly small company, if you had to buy a tailgate spreader, what would you buy? And can you get one that will spread both sand and salt?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to spread sand, you really need a two stage unit - conveyor and spinner. The only unit I am aware is the Western Pro-Flo 2 or Fisher SpeedCaster 2. Same unit, different color.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snow-ex 1850 sand pro, any of the Douglass Dynamics (Western, Fisher, Blizzard) 2 stage units, or the Saltdogg SHPE0750.

The last is a 3/4 yard in bed spreader, priced very competitively and the best choice of the bunch for both capacity and versatility. light enough to load in the truck with just human grunt force, allows you to use either bagged or bulk material, and provides the best maneuverability/ballast and cost of service and repair. You can buy a motor/trans combo for less then some others want just for a motor.
    http://www.saltdogg.com/Salt_Spreader/SHPE0750.html

9. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

If you would like I can quote you on any of these sanders for you. I have most of them in stock.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The Air-Flo Mini MSS is a great sander also. Smaller then the pro flo 2 so you have to fill it more ofter but easier to see around when backing up. I have a Pro Flo 2 and had an Air-Flo and they both are reliable and spread sand.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I forgot the Airflo:eek: have a used one on the rack too:dizzy: good unit though a little heavy for it's size, it is probably the toughest built of them all.

12. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Thanks guys! Hey smoke, if you wouldnt mind, maybe throw me a price on the spreaderds that were mentioned, that would be great, thanks so much.

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx has what you need

I run several of SnowEx products and they work! They have two tailgate units that will work for you. One is a 1575 which spreads salt & sand and is a one person on & off spreader that fits into your receiver hitch. The other tailgate spreader is an 1875 which also spreads salt & sand and holds approximately 600 lbs of material.

If you have any questions on these units, you can call me at 800-845-0499 or call a local SnowEx dealer. They work great.

14. georgekonyev

georgekonyev Junior Member

15. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I have a 5yd single axel. Trying to decide if I shouold go with a V or UT spreader. All the sites I look at all seem to be geared toward the PU market. Used market seems to say that if I can find one, a UT will give me the most bang for the buck. Since I am just getting into sanding, I don't want to go whole hog on new on the hope that I can get enough accounts to cover the nut on new equipment. Any suggestions? Especially on which are the best V's and UT's to look at. Will appreciate any help.