1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate salters

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowguy21, Jan 8, 2006.

1. snowguy21

snowguy21 Junior Member

in the past i bought a buyers spreader and it sucked. all it did was poured out product. there was no way to stop it. then the motor seized and the company said sorry you have used it in the snow and road salt so your warranty is void!!! so im looking for a small tailgate spreader that shuts off the product flow when not in use(not spreading).
    if anyone has a idea let me know. i only use dry product.

thanks steve.

2. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

salter

I have a western 1000 low profile swing gate Used only one season. Asking 500 Give me a call 917 417 6611 or jax1013@aol.com for pix.
    Thanks Jack

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

thats a hell of a deal, what controller do you have for it?

4. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

salter

I'm just looking to get rid of it b/c its been in my brothers garage since i bought that vpro8000 in feb 2003. Buyer is responsible for shipping or pick up. It has the standard dial contoller w/ that quik blast button...If I remeber correctly. I have the receipt...I think I paid 1350 brand new...plus installation.. I guess they saw me coming :)
    Thanks Jack

5. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

Check out your SnowEx dealer. They have a rate gate for several of there units. Hope this helps.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Funny you should say that you lose the product when traveling i just took back a Buyer suv spreader that was under warranty (corroded wire) and the new one had a bigger motor and a gate adjuster so when i travel i can close the gate and not lose any material. I use it once since i got it and it seem to work good, the motor seems to through the salt better too.

7. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

snowguy21

Steve,

Sno-Way offers (3) sizes of receiver spreaders, all have flow gates as a standard feature. The flow gate serves three purposes:

1. Completely shut-off the flow of salt to spinner.
    2. Meter the amount of salt being fed to spinner.
    3. Control spread pattern of salt (by controlling where it is dropped onto the spinner).

For more information, please visit Sno-Way's website (www.snoway.com) or contact your local Sno-Way Dealer.

Hope this helps.

8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Depending upon what you are looking for Torwell(right in Worcester) makes a nice little unit. It's bigger than a tailgate unit but a much smaller version of a V-Box type spreader.

9. snowguy21

snowguy21 Junior Member

thanks

thanks everyone for your input and i'll check out sno-way and torwell
    thanks again, steve.
    :cool:

10. chris k

chris k Senior Member

i got a fisher speedcaster2 tailgate for sale. works great. sand/salt mix, straight sale or whatever you want to put in it.

11. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Chris K

how much for the speedcaster,
    Also Big D, how much do those torwell spreaders cost?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  12. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Big Dog:

Does Torwell have a web site?

13. chris k

chris k Senior Member

$1200 with the mounts for an F350, wiring and controls

14. Big Dog D

No idea. Tryy JJ Gregory in E. Providence they are a dealer. Good Luck.

15. Big Dog D

No. If you had an area posted that you lived in I could recommend a local dealer. Why so secretive about where you are? Nobody needs to no specificly, but a general idea of what state and region of it would be helpful to others.:salute:

16. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

Torwel Spreaders

17. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

Chris K,

How come you want to get rid of it? I am ready to buy a new spreader and it's between a Speedcaster2 and the SnowEX. I don't have a SnowEx distributor close which is a big downside...

I tentatively, have an appointment for this week to have a speedcaster2 installed for $2500.

18. danny17

danny17 Member

hey jax1013, is that tailgate spreader still for sale? if so, could you send me some pics to djtrudea@oakland.edu, please?
    thanks a lot

19. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

western tailgate

Danny,
    Thanks for asking...yes its still available..I'm very surprised b/c this thing is a steal at 500..you would have to p/u or shipped even then its still a bargain..this was used less than 6 x's ..I also still have the vpro8000 which I reduced asking to $1200...I'll send you pix at your email b/c they are to large for this format...look closely at the spinner as it looks close to new..
    Thanks again
    Jack
    917 417 6611

20. Kosty

Kosty Member

jack im intrested in the western spreader. do you have aol IM