1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate salter with bulk salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DaySpring Services, Oct 27, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone use the boss tailgate spreader with bulk salt? I almost bought one today but was afraid I'd run into problem with the salt bridging up in it. I ended up putting a deposit down on a SnowEx 1875 sand pro instead. I have 2 weeks to change my mind. Just not 100% sure which one I want.
  2. canadabruce

canadabruce Junior Member

I bought the pivot pro 1075 and used bulk salt. After the first event had to go back and get a vibrator installed because the salt kept bridging. Have not had a problem since.
  3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

on the tailgate spreaders we run bagged because we put some of our bulk and its too clumped and heavy and jamms the system up i dont like it too much of a pita
  4. DaySpring Services

I have a ? about the pivot mount. I see the part that mounts on the bed rails, but there's another part that goes on the bumper? Does it bolt onto it or just sit on it?
  5. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

The pivot pro bolts on the siderail and on the bumper on each side. I have run bulk salt through my pivot pro with very little problems.
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The two-stage systems like the western ProFlow 2 doesn't have problems, but I know the vast majority of the single stage syatems will bridge up - especially with wet stuff. In many cases, a vibrator won't even help. As a matter of fact, a vibrator can sometimes even compound the problem.:realmad:
  7. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Vibrator and Bulk Salt

Hey Guys,

Our customers use a standard performance (Z-80) Sure-Flow vibrator kit on just about every brand of spreader made to make bulk salt flow in plastic tailgate spreaders. I try to keep in touch with my customers to make sure our product works like we said it would and so far with over 10,000 vibrators sold no one is complaining. That doesn't mean that a Sure-Flow vibrator will move every type of material in every type of spreader. I'm sure there is a combination of material, moisture and hopper design that no amount of vibration can cure.

So, get a Sure-Flow and go spread bulk salt with your plastic tailgate spreader. You'll be glad you did.

Happy spreading,

Bob Church
    Karrier Company
    Ph: 800-709-4434
  8. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Ive got a snow ex sand pro 1875.. dont have any problems
  9. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

We have been running wet, half frozen bulk salt in our western pro flows and we have not had any problems yet :rolleyes:
  10. starc

starc Senior Member

I use a western proflo, single stage. It works great providing the salt is faily dry, I have no problems with it.
  11. DaySpring Services

I ended up buying the boss tailgate salter with vibrator. It seems to be working fine so far. I've also run some wet bulk through.
  12. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

airflo makes a tailgate spreader, I use to use them, has a little conveyer belt, works great with bulk salt.