1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate salter removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04hd, Nov 26, 2014.

1. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Long story here... :help:I only plow 4 places 3 separate locations. I have a western 1000 and need to remove it to get snowblower out of the box. Love the salter but hate how bulky and pain in the rear it is to take on and off:mad:. I thought about a hitch extender but it would have to be pretty long then i'm sure i'd back into something. Does any one have a good system for removing and hooking back up for this thing. If you do let me know. Pictures would be just amazing. I have thought about possibly building a wheel mount so I could tilt it back and roll it around(not sure of that working very good) Any ways thanks for any help!!

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My old snow ex has a swing away option. It wouldn't be difficult to fab one up or if you're limited at fabing to get a weld shop to build you something.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How big are the lots you salt? Like how many bags on each?

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

How about using the same approach used with swing away trailer tongues that are on boat trailers?

swing away.png

5. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I have 2 decent sized lots that are 12-14 bags each the other 2 are 4bags each. I use bags because they fit my needs really well.

6. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I looked into that type of swing away and didn't want to make holes in my box. (atleast the one I looked at I needed to)

7. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Thanks for sparking my interest. I just googled swing away hitch and came up with this. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...TW3dQQqBu5ERXTm-F0mgak_lXUvKEkJHgaAtj98P8HAQI have good fab skills so I am now thinking tube steel some flat steel and a bolt. The joys of farming is a heated shop, welder and steel!!!! Can't say thanks enoughThumbs Up, I never thought of that :D

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just a fyi...don't try and open that when's it's loaded.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

No problem, let your creative juices flow along with beads of weld........Thumbs Up

As Diesels pointed out don't swing it while full regardless of how you end up going.

10. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Here you go

IMG_0977.JPG

11. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I like it. I also like the rubber to keep salt off the truck!! Goodness guys so many ideas!! :bluebounc And thanks diesels for pointing that out... I could see myself doing that and making a big project!!

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You need the western swing away hitch

13. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

They make one??

14. Antlerart06

15. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Ah I did some research and they do make one. It's similar to the snowex swing away and I would have to drill holes in bed rails :(

16. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you could fab something to fit down into bed rail pocket instead of drilling holes . Thumbs Up

17. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

That is also another great idea. I think I am going to try making a swing away hitch that is like the one from snowex. Thanks to Buff I did a quick google search and found the snowex one. A little pricey. I am thinking 2 pieces of tube steel that pivot welded to a piece of 2inch to go into the receiver!!

18. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

2 pictures of what I am thinking. 1/4 in wall tube steel 4 plates 1/4 in 5/8 bolt for pivot point and 5/8 pin for locking end!! [/ATTACH]

hitch 1.png

hitch 2.png

19. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

first picture is an end view. second a top view. Not an artist!! It may be a heavy sob when all together but I was thinking that on the under side I could weld 2 pieces of tube or just channel to make fork pockets for loader forks to slide into. I could then line it up and work it a bit to get it hooked up! Would only need to be removed for trailer work which in winter isn't too much just moving cattle now and again. I have my s10 as a "town car"

20. Antlerart06

The new one hooks only in the truck hitch no holes to drill I seen the one your talking about Its old style I thought seen a video of it I'll see if I can find it Think it was on there facebook site