1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate salter question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by pavwa, Dec 10, 2009.

1. pavwa

pavwa Member

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to keep salt from clogging in the bucket on a snowex tailgate salter.If there is a different way to keep the salt flowing other than buying a vibrator and installing it. I would like to save a couple bucks if possible.

2. cory@central

cory@central Junior Member

buy better salt

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

and/or buy a vibrator......I know thats not what you (pavwa) want to hear, but even with better salt it still happens.

4. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

As they said do both, better salt and the vibrator is a must

5. pavwa

pavwa Member

thanks guys i knew it was bad salt (really fine must of been the last of the pile) but i thought i would ask, especially if it saved a couple hundred bucks. Thanks again

6. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

In my experience, i have applied a LOT of WD-40 or PAM liquid spray to the inside of the spreader. Make sure you clean the spreader thoroughly before you apply. This makes the salt slide right out. I have also added a layer or two of really heavy duty plastic to the inside of the bed after I apply the WD40 or Pam to insulate it from moisture. I then add an additional layer over the top before I close the spreader. This keeps the salt (especially rock salt) from clumping up. let me know how this works out for you. I'm curious if I'm special or if I have passed along some helpful information for others.

7. gmlcinc

gmlcinc Junior Member

I have a buyers TGSUVPROA and have been having the same problem. I have to continually get out and kick the spreader to make the salt fall.

Has any one tried welding some small pieces of steel (like nails) to the inside to agitate/stir the salt and keep it moving? I think I'm going to try this on mine and see if the motor can handle it. There should be room just on top of the auger. Just have to keep them short because I'm sure the motor can't take much more of a load.

Any body else try modifying theirs? I want to make this one work until next year when I switch to bulk.