1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate salter question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by traviswalker007, Dec 10, 2008.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

I was informed the othere day that if i run a vibrator on my buyers 1000lb tail gate spreader i can switch from bag salt and load and spread bulk salt with no issues??? is this a true statement or not? i like the way bag spreads but bulk is much cheaper and less hassel. I was hoping to just shovel it from the dump into the spreader but im a litle cutious as ive heard horro storys with bulk salt in tailgate spreaders.... thanks
  2. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

I just put a vibrator on mine (Buyers 800? 1000? not really sure, but its big), I run bulk/ treated salt w/ no problems. The only negative is the noise the thing makes when the hopper is almost empty. Quite loud at 3am when salting apt. complexes, that plastic really vibrates!!

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I had a buyers spreader we used bulk salt for 2 sesons in it, the only issue was if a hardl piece of rock salt jammed the spinner other than that no issues