1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Salter Maintenance

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnlandscape, Nov 22, 2013.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

We have 2 Snowex 575 Tailgate Salters.

One of them in brand new, so moving forward I want me to make sure we are taking proper care of it.

The other one is a number of years old. I have never taken very good care of it in terms of after season cleanup EXCEPT for last year. It was completely power washed and cleaned up nice before it was put away for storage.

Funny thing is... after the only year I have really cleaned up up perfectly, I now have problems with it.

I can not get the spinner to spin... at all. If I take a hammer to it to try to spin it, I can get it to turn....

So.. Newbie question here.. I am assuming I should be greasing that spinner shaft.... right?

I do not see any grease fittings... So where are the most important parts to be greased?

What else do you do to maintain your tailgate salters...?

Thanks Guys. Thumbs Up
  2. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I have the same spreader. I touch up the paint on the frame once a year and store it upside down. I was told to store it upside down so any moisture that might have got trough the seal around the spinner shaft can drain out. Not sure if this actually is true. The spreader is more than 5 years old and so far once I took the motor and gear box apart and cleaned everything and replaced the grease inside the gearbox. At the time the grease seemed to be in bad shape. I also sprayed all the electrical connections inside the motor housing with Fluid Film. Seems to be holding up well. My guess is you have some corrosion in the gearbox.

Not sure the condition of your spreader but I wasn't able to remove the set screw on the spinner shaft to remove the spinner, so I wasn't able to completely remove the gearbox from it, but was still able to take the cover off and grease it. I also checked the motors brushes at the time. They were surprisingly in good shape
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my 1075 this year, I drenched the shaft with penetrating oil a couple times and it freed up pretty easily.