1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Salter and need for Snowblower in bed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mattymax, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Mattymax

Mattymax Junior Member
    from Nj

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Been plowing and snow blowing for a few seasons now. Seems to work out okay because I still have some customers who strickly want the snowblower used. Well this season it has come up that i may need to buy a salter (tailgate) to get into some commercial accounts . I still need to be able to get the blower down ramps to complete jobs. Western makes a swing out mount but they say it needs to be empty to swing out at all and my western guy said not many people do the swing out mount. My question is what do you guys do if you want to salt but also use the bed for a big blower ?

Thanks in advance.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Snowex has that option as well. A few of our trucks are hooked up that way, just for ease of loading salt into the bed. And yes can only open when unloaded.

3. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Swing away tailgate Salter is your only option. Needs to be empty to swing. I kept salt separate in a bin in the front of my bed and shoveled into the spreader. Blower went between salt bin and spreader.

This scenario is what caused my first expansion, I separated the snowblowing into a different truck and got a v box.

4. Mattymax

Mattymax Junior Member
    from Nj

Yea I an leaning towards doing away with the blower. Going with a hitch mount western 1000 and calling it a day. If I ever need my snowblower I can load it Into my other truck and go out with that.

Matt

5. Mattymax

Mattymax Junior Member
    from Nj

This will allow me to get more commercial accounts which require salt

Matt

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Do you have the option of doing all of your plowing/blowing first and going back to salt? If you're only doing a few places and have a tight route I could see it working.

7. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

In this scenario, skip the tailgate and get a v box. I have a snow ex 3000 and love it. I'd wouldn't ever go back to a tailgate spreader.