1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Salt Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BIGGB9, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

Hey guys Im in the market right now for a tailgate spreader I have always had western spreaders and they were great never any issues with them, but I was looking into a snow ex 575x spreader I can get a brand new one for a really great price, just wanted to know what everyone thoughts were on them and if you have one how do you like them. Thanks

2. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Airflo mss mini spreader. Simple, bullet proof unit. Mines probably 20 plus years old. Bought it used fixed up and have been using it for 4 years with no issues at all.

3. procut

procut Senior Member

I've owed a lot of spreaders and have liked the SnowEx ones the best. A lot of guys don't seem to like them, but I've always had good luck with them. They are a little pricey, but like anything in life you get what you pay for, I suppose.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know guy likes his 575 just wish it would hold more
    This my first year owning tail gate spreader its a Western2500 I thinking adding another tail gate its help me out a lot I have the V box I don't have to run all over town. I get more plowing done

I like the western but thinking going to a SnowEx for next one The 1075

5. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I love the 575s! They're great because they're small enough to not block your view, but large enough to hold a decent amount of salt so you're not always filing it. For it's size, it can throw pretty good if you need to do wide areas. The power is probably as good as you can get before going to a V-box that can feed the salt faster. I only deal with snow-ex spreaders for the reliability and they are fairly simple to fix and to find parts. Good luck!

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll be happy with the 575.

7. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

I don't have one anymore, still have the harness and controller hooked up, but the 575 was a great spreader. Not sure on other brands, but the 575 was very efficient and did the job of melting snow/ice. Was thinking of getting another one just to spot salt, instead of using the v's. Maybe go with the 1075 for more capacity, but as another poster said, vision behind you and it's a one man job putting it on and off

8. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I like my 575x and should have bought it last year. As the others have said i also wish it held alittle more but it gets the job done for sure. how much can you get it for?

9. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

Bought mine used, and have used it for 5 years with no issues. Keep it painted, I've also replaced the grease in the gearbox a couple times. Great spreader.

10. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

What's a good grease for the 575 gearbox?

11. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I just use wheel bearing grease. Not sure what it should be but it has worked so far. In my opinion this is the most important maintenance to perform, that and keeping the frame painted. I always hear people say the augers lock up, not on this spreader specifically but on tailgate spreaders in general. Probly from moisture getting in there and corroding everything

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  12. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

Thanks for the great input everyone I will be buying the snow ex 575x next week. I will share some pics when I get it installed.

13. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

hey V_scapes I can get a new 575x tax out the door for 1115.12 does that seem like a good price

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I be jumping on that

15. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

yea thats a killer price, i got mine for 1600.

16. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Boss TGS600 or 1100 depending on the capacity you need.

Make sure you get the SmartHitch attachment. No more mickey mouse lifting it in and sliding in the hitch ********.