1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Salt Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kelbel7795, Feb 20, 2010.

1. kelbel7795

kelbel7795 Junior Member
    from NJ

I am looking to purchase a good quality tailgate salt spreader and I would like to know which ones are highly recommended. Which brands are better Buyer's, Fisher's, Meyer's, Western, Snowex, etc.. ?
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

i love my snowex 1075 its 2 years old.
  3. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

You cant go wrong with a stainless airflo. They work great.

x 2...... It saves me a ton of time per site... I could only imagine what a v-box would do....
  5. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

Doesnt the airflow have a tailgate spreaderr? they spread bulk salt too!
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The MSS Airflow is great and yes it does spread bulk. Easy to see around when backing up also.
  7. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

i have a snowex 575 and it suits me perfect. only run bagged thru it so i dont know if it handles bulk or not, but for my accounts its great. 350ish lbs fill it up, mines about 5 years old and i havent replaced a part, maintenance is key tho.
  8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

My usual answer to these questions come down to this; What does your local dealer sell and support by having the parts you need should this equipment ever break down? The best plow/spreader/mower in the world will eventually need repair, and usually at the worst possible time, so if you need to wait a week for a part to ship in to Michigan from California well then its not a very good machine for that week.

With that said I own a 9 year old Fisher Speedcaster 2 which spreads bulk and bag and a 6 year old Fisher 1000. I love them both and both have earned me easily 10 times what Ive paid for them. In 9 years with the speedcaster, I replaced the spreader motor once a couple years ago and the gearbox failed at the beginning of this season, by far the only and most expensive repair to this unit.

The 1000 Ive never replaced anything on, although the bottom bearing grease fitting has disolved away due to salt,meaning the bearing is headed for failure. I will have that replaced after the season ends or if we get a forecast break of a week without snow.

We wash them out after every event, clean and grease them before we put them away, and store them in the garage, tho the 1000 spent the last year outside due to loss of extra garage space. Put em on, plug em in and they work everytime.

Before the original dealer that sold me the salters closed up, I use to call her after each storm to thank her for selling me these units. I probably make more net cash from the back of the truck then I do from pushing with the front. Best of luck.
  9. snowstacker

snowstacker Junior Member

x3..... Quality spreader, the pivot mount is nice also.
  10. kelbel7795

kelbel7795 Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for all your input
  11. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I have had SnowEx 1075's for years, they are great !!!
  12. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Yes they are! Especially if you have the piviot mount, makes loading salt so much eaiser
  13. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Ditto--1075s are great little units!
  14. joeplowguy

joeplowguy Junior Member

tailgate spreader

i have a snowex 1075 pivot-pro.highly recommend run a pallet of bagged rock salt after every event and no problems whatsoever.anyone know if the 1075 will spread bulk
  15. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

It will, but depending on the material it can get crabby.
  16. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

x4, i love mine. And to be honest i was looking to get a Buyers and ended up with the 1075 and i couldn't be more happy with it. I have only had it for this season but it is 4 years old and works and looks like new. I keep it coated in Fluid Film and clean it after every use.
  17. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Airflo for me. I bought a used unit thats at least 10 plus years old. It was by no means perfect but the basic unit itself is just as good as new. Some new parts and it's just like new. It's a well built, well thought out unit and it works great at spreading anything.
  18. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

snowex for me

i've ran several snowex tailgate spreaders for six years now and no problems, Choose snowex and choose a winner!
  19. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i have a western v-box that i love and i also have one of the cheapest tailgate spreaders out there. its a buyers. holds 330 pounds. i cant remember what model it is. i was really suprised how well it works. everyone on here says they dont work with bulk so i never really tried it. well we have had a pretty slow winter so i was bored and gave it a try. it dont have an auger nor a viberator. i've used it a few times now with straight bulk salt and it worked flawless.