1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate salt spreader question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hey guys, I posted a similar question before but it had little response so hear goes again... Is there a tailgate spreader that will spread salt like a V box does? We were thinking of getting a SnowEx 1875 but I would like to hear from the guys with bigger spreaders like the 1875, or 1075's or Fisher 1000's etc. My Myers mini jr is pathetic when it comes to laying it down fairly thick. Any feed back is appreciated, thanks in advance.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have found that the 2000 model will lay down a nice thick pattern of salt. I've only run bagged material through it, so I cannot comment about what it might do if you tried bulk or sand mix. I really like the way it spreads, but I think for the money, you can't beat a two stage unit.

I have however heard that the SnowEx products aren't built with top-notch quality, but never having used one I can't verify that.
  3. GTS

GTS Junior Member
    from ontario

Don't mean to cut in on this post, but while on the subject of tailgate spreaders, can you run a mix of sand and salt thru them?
  4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

We had a western 1000 ,worked great it just was ready for it's third motor. It was eight years old and not much of a frame left ( pretty rusty ) so we got a new spreader. The western made us alot of money.
    The western was replaced with a snow ex 1075. It works just as good . Both spreaders worked great for us but we only use bagged material. I am running a buyers suv pro and it will even empty 350 lbs. pretty fast. It just depends on how big the salt is. Some pallets are really fine salt and others are bigger pices! The big stuff seems to flow real fast , so I just have to drive faster. All of our spreaders throw salt around 30'.

I don't know it you can compare TG. spreader to a v box but we throw alot of salt with no problems. There is no close place for me to get bulk so I don't mind the small spreaders. I never have to worry about having salt left over I only use what I need.
  5. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Fisher or western makes 2 stage taildate spreaders, holds around a 1000 lbs, will spread bulk salt, treated salt, cinders, whatever you want. Upgraded this year from singlr stage to two stage. Great spreaders, worth the little exra you spend. Your equipment determines how much money you make and how fast you make it.
  6. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

I just upgraded myself, I see you have a Fisher Plow, why not match that with the Fisher Speed Caster. If you go with the smaller units from Fisher, much like the mini, I think you will not be happy. They are about the same as you have now. I have just gotten the speed caster and it's really nice plus it was only $190 more than the small units. It has chunk busters, adjustable spread width, both on the unit and spinner speed and it has flow metering where you can open or close gates in the neck to adjust your rate. You can throw alot of salt or hardily any at all. It's really worth looking at. Mine works great!
  7. mufman

mufman Junior Member

I am a fan of my 1875. I have not had any problems with mine and it is 2 seasons old. I love being able to control the amout thrown and the distance seperately. I like to drive fast so they are usually both on full blast in the parking lots anyway. It works great and the vibrator is kick ass. I am trying to get the "in the bed" unit. If anyone is trying to offload one, I need it for another truck.
  8. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I have a 1075. So far so good. I run some pretty big chunks through it. the only thing I don't like is the mount. I got the hitch mount. It mounts to the hitch and two plates on the bumper. To me, it's hard to get all lined up and pinned together, even with two people.