1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Protector

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

On my new '03 2500 it has a drop on bedliner, but is missing the full tailgate protector (not the cap on the top of the tailgate, the actual protector itself). Does anyone know where to find one of these other than Dodge or a junkyard? I have looked all over the net and only have found rubber mats, overpriced diamond plate, and stainless ones. Any ideas or is it junkyard picking time tomorrow?:mad:

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would try any auto accessories store or maybe a junk yard

3. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Worse comes to worse if you cant find a cover (depending how picky you are about looks) you could pick up a can of the DIY rhino liner and roll it on yourself. just a thought...

4. DeereFarmer

I was thinking about just one of the DIY roll on liners, but I'd like it to match the bed. The truck looks presentable and I want to try to keep it that why. I just can't figure out why nobody sells the plastic ones anymore.

5. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

In that case id hit a junkyard or see how much a dodge dealership wants to rip you off for one haha.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Anyone who sells/installs bedliners is bound to have one laying around. But I think your best/cheapest bet is a junkyard. Anything from 2002 (1500) -2011(1500/2500/3500) will fit

7. DeereFarmer

Thanks plowguy. Checked a few junkyards today and didn't come up with anything. I know a place that installs Line-X bedliner, so I called him and asked that if they have a beliner take-out come in the let me know and I'll buy it off of him. I also found a new Mopar one online at a parts store for $40 plus $25 to ship it. Might just go that route. The price was better than I thought it would be considering they want $135 for a diamond plate one plus shipping.

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Be patient one will turn up. As for the rino liners they look nice at first but seem to turn flat black almost grey over the years. Expecially if they are in the sun all the time. For the time being have a vinyl sign guy cut some clear in the shape of the cover which protects the top of the tailgate from scratches.

Any of the truck aftermarket stores should be able to find one.

9. plowguy43

Yes wait it out, I'm surprised the linex guy didn't have a bunch of liners hanging around. Honestly I can probably get you one but will need to check the shop and see if they are still laying around. Only problem would be meeting up- I'll be in Dedham Mass the weekend of the 26th and can bring it with me. I know I have a 94-01 style at my house but I don't think it'll fit.

10. DeereFarmer

plowguy43: that might be an option. I'm going to actually go speak with the Line-X installer on Monday because my buddy wants to get a quote, so i'll ask him again. Thanks for the offer.

11. plowguy43

Ok just let me know and I'll also check the shop next week.

12. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

A Line-X dealer will likely have tons of bed liners and tailgate caps kicking around. The place where I got my Line-X done had probably 50 or so laying out back.
    The newest body style tailgate is different from the 3rd gens also so they won't work.
    I put the 1500 style "spoiler" on my tailgate and it's been great for the past 5 years ... much more functional than just a cap. I paid $50 as it was a take-off from a new truck that had a lift-gate installed. good luck.