1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Pivots Rusted

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mayhem, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Went to go lube up the hinges tonight and when I tried to shut it, the tailgate fell off in my hands. Turns out the passenger side pivot point is almost completely gone and that in turn has deformed the socket on the tailgate as well.

So I need to replace both the pivot and the socket at this point...maybe smart to do both sides. Anyone know where I can get these parts online or if its a common Autozone part? Dealer isn't an option...the local Chevy dealer closed a few years ago.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Dealer or junkyard only. Is the mounting area ok? I had to fab up pieces on an 80' chev I used to have.

3. mayhem

from Peru MA

Mounting areas seem fine, just have to break the bolts loose and pop the new brackets on there. I just need to get the parts. I think there is still a GMC dealer here...they'll probably have access to the parts I need.

4. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

try LMC online

5. mayhem

from Peru MA

LMC Agitated Bay Composting Solutions?

I know you don't mean that, can you post a link to where you mean?

6. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Just looked a LMCs catalog page 67-68 hinge isn't available.

8. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

9. mayhem

from Peru MA

Wow. Seems like nobody has these parts in stock anywhere.

Still looking.

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Have you tried jcwhitney.com

11. mayhem

from Peru MA

Yep. No good.

Considering how lousy the design is, its surprising that there isn't a healthy aftermarket for this set of parts. I can readily find a set for 88-2000 OBS trucks, but nothing out there for the NBS trucks. Dealer can find the part numbers, but they're listed as backordered everywhere, even the NAPA and CarQuest places.

Nothing in the junkyards either.

Damn economic slowdown.

Maybe its time to consider a net...or theft at night.

12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure if you have them but have you tried O'reilley/checker. If you put a part number I'll check with buddy as he works warehouse

13. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

theres a place in lowell, ma. school street used truck parts theve usually have hard to find stuff. theve got a website but i dont know it. ive got the phone # though 978-458-6222. good luck.

14. jalapenos

jalapenos Junior Member

lmctruck does carry trunnion assemblies, page 27.

decent quality as well!

15. mayhem

from Peru MA

Unfortunately they don't have them. P. 67, everythign in blue they don't have.

Not sure what O'Reilley/check is, so I'm guessing its a regional parts store...we don't have them.

I have to pull the old parts anyways so I'll post the numbers here if I dont find the parts first. Thanks.

GMC dealer said he may get some in on Tuesday but he's not holdig out much hope since they've been on order for some time.

Found plenty of aftermarket 88-2000 trunions. Sure do look like the right part. Might pick up a set and if they don't fit return them.

Can anyone confirm the passenger side trunion is still the rectangular shape and the driver's side is round? Thats how the 88-00 parts are but since mine are ruined I can't tell.

16. mayhem

from Peru MA

Pic of the dead trunion.

Number stamped on there is 323 90B. Not positive on the 90B part...its kind of mauled.

IMG_0050.jpg

17. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have friend checking Oreilley for parts for you.

18. mayhem

from Peru MA

Much obliged.

19. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Is that a 5.3 or 6.0

20. mayhem

from Peru MA

2000 NBS 2500 6.0 4x4 LT ecsb.

That should answer all the odd questions the parts computers ask for parts that are actually shared between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks.

I can readily find the trunions for 88-2000 for $10 a pair at any parts store...but the 99-2006 parts seem to be a bit more difficult to come by.