1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate or walkbehind?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ryanlconst, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ryanlconst

ryanlconst Junior Member

I dont have a spreader yet I was going to just plow this year and if somone requested salt I was going to use a walk behind spreader. so my question is do you generally use ice melt or salt on parking lots or is it to expensive to do it with bags? I dont have a way to load a big spreader with bulk salt/sand. Do most people just bid to do the sidewalks with the salt?
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I bid the lot to both plow as well as salt. Most on here will do the same. Depending on the size of the lot bagged salt, and a walk behind spreader will do just fine. You can do that for a year or two, but as you get older, you will find that pushing a walk spreader pretty much sucks. Then you can look at a nice little hitch mount, or tailgate spreader. Now if your talking big lots, then you want to start out with at least a tailgate spreader that will hold some salt, and possibly even a V box for the back of your truck. In this case bulk salt is the cheapest way to go. With bulk though you will need a place to store it as well. Hope this helps out a little
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i still use walkbehind spreaders as a back up, and the bagged fine grained salt, or tri blend salt is more money , but you would really be surprised how fare it will stretch. I have salted lots that normally i dump 500 lbs, i have done in 150 lbs, and got full coverage, and it all melted with the same results... I almost questioned if it worked better and cheaper to get set up
  4. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

That happened to me this weekend. My tailgate spreader isnt on my truck yet so i used a walk behind spreader. I ended up using half the salt i normally use and i went over it a couple times.