1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate or Poly-Caster Spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 10elawncare, Jul 18, 2008.

1. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

Trying to figure out which to buy. Currently have a 06' 2500hd. reg cab/8ft bed. I think I have narrowed it down to a Boss t/g spreader or Fisher Poly-Caster. The cost isnt really what my concern is. I dont want to outgrow, I guess you can say' the t/g spreader. But at the same time I dont want to go overboard and get the bigger spreader.

People who have t/g spreaders do you ever wish you had a bigger model? and the same for people with bigger spreaders, do you ever wish you had stuck with a tailgate spreader?

I really like the poly spreaders for the ease of storage and the weight.

So whats everyone's opinion? Bigger the better? or stick with a t/g spreader?

Thanks in advance!
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think it all depends on ur needs, both while plowing and while not

Do you need the bed space? do u haul side walk equiptment, like snow blowers, bagged salt for the walks?

how much salt do u spread?

Personally, if you dont need the bed space, i would go with the bigger spreader, ...most of the time, its great to have.... i you need it , i guess ur stuck with the tail gate...

One thing i would consider if you get the tail gate.... i dont think that boss can spread bulk salt.... you can save ur self ALOT of money, if u spread bulk vs bagged
    Look in to the Meyer blaster... it works great on bulk

Iv never used the procaster, but i know when they first came out they had problems.. and iv never seen one in this area... fisher or western
  3. 10elawncare

thanks for the response! please guys keep them coming. thats another thing I was trying to figure out was room for carrying other stuff. I would need to bring around a blower and a few bags for walks. But even still the tailgate would be in the way. Another thing I thought about is with having the t/g spreader I would have to get out once its empty to fill it back up. another thing is that I am going to be getting a dump insert soon too, so thats another thing to add to my confusion.
  4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I am changing from a TG spreader to a dumpbed spreader this season.......for a few reasons......#1 price of bagged salt vs. bulk, #2 I do not like having to constantly reload the TG spreader......#3 I can get more as a sub with the bulk spreader....
  5. elite1msmith

from chicago

if u stay with the tail gate spreader, u can have a swing away option that makes loading easy....

if u go with a larger spreader , you could just use it on ur new big truck, however the procaster model, might be a little small for a dump

how much salt do u go thru?
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Shoveling bulk into a tailgate salter gets old real quick. If you are getting an insert save up for the spreader. I have a Pro Flow 2 and only used it 5 times last year and that was 5 to many. It is only for emergency.
  7. elite1msmith

from chicago

we bought 5 gal buckets.... each one weighed 50 lbs, the only difference was, that we saved the buckets, and during the off time went and reloaded them,....just used the bobcat to dump into them...

of cousre we started off by the route by loading the spreader with the machine, and had stopped by another pile while in route to a job, so the buckets system became a last resort, or maybe for that last "200 lbs" needed to finish a job... I think our spreader held about 1000 lbs
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you want to haul a Snowblower then you're stuck a Hitch mount tailgate model small enough that one man can load/unload, you'll always have to empty it before loading or unloading the SB. This will limit you to only filling it with no more then the amount you 're spreading at that time. Therefore I'd go with the smallest hitch mount available. this will limit you to bagged and/or screened bulk material as most of the smaller units can be picky about feeding clumpy/wet salt.

If you are getting a dump insert the most productive unit would be a tailgate replacement unit such as Downeaster, or Truckcraft but these would limit the ability to load/unload the snowblower.
  9. 10elawncare

I think I have made up my mind. I am going to purchase a t/g spreader and if isn't big enough I will turn around and sell it next season. Figured I can save some $$ and get a better leaf loader instead.

So now I need to figure out which BRAND! I know its been discussed and everything else numerous times already. But I really like Boss products, especially the RT3 hitch mount for the spreader. I was really sold with the plow I bought but am open to different brands for the spreader. Theres a fisher,western,diamond,meyer,boss and a few others all in my area so that isnt a big deal. Any reasons against boss spreader? or any suggestions as to another brand?
  10. elite1msmith

from chicago

i dont know the boss too well, heres a few things to consider... im not sure if the RT3 requires a specical hitch? if it does, that makes resale alot harder, and you dont have the abblity to switch it from truck to truck.... SO the slide in model is better... the swing away options are nice too

get one with a vibrator, it works tons better,

as i have stated many times, I LOVE my magnum, which in now called the meyer blaster.... Iv used others and it really kicks butt ...cold, wet, salt, ...bulk, sand... i almost like it better than the bigger spreaders
  11. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I have a Sno Way tailgate spreader, and I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Pros -
    Very easy to take off when not needed - it's a 1 man job
    Small footprint, so it can be stored just about anywhere
    Spreads bulk salt and sand/salt mix, but you NEED a vibe for it
    Costs a lot less than a v-box
    You still have room in your bed for a blower, shovel, spreader, etc...

Cons -
    If you use a lot of salt and/or have a large route, you will run out of salt in the hopper quickly.
    It is a PITA climbing into the bed of your truck to shovel salt into it many times during your route
    It gets slippery climbing in and out of your truck bed w/all of the snow/ice buildup, and you could potentially slip and fall

I "outgrew" my tailgate spreader after the first few storms last year, but I am not replacing it yet. While it is a PITA getting out to refill it, but at the same time it gets you out of your cab, allows you to stretch, and wakes you up. When I get my F550 dump in 2 years, then I'll get a different spreader, but for now, it works well and is paid for.

As far as brands go, go with whatever brand has quality support nearby. The last thing that you want to do when the spreader breaks is drive 2+ hours each way to get a part.

Also, make sure to get a vibrator, they are worth every penny.
  12. elite1msmith

from chicago

if ur using bulk, try pre loading it in buckets on a nice day... we got a bunch for 1.79 each with lids, paid for it self the first time it snowed.. 5 gal = 50 lbs