1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate or NoTailgate?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Young Pup, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, Just wondering how many of you ran with a tailgate on or off with a receiver hitch mount spreader? The reason why I ask is, that in the Picture forum I saw Ultimate Plow had his tailgate off. I can see pro's and cons with this. One pro being easier to get to the salt. One con is it sliding out the back for some reason. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Be getting my receiver hitch mount this week.

2. hay pup keep it on what happens if you have to but chains or something small in the bed it just means that there gone then
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Myself, I would leave the gate on to keep what ever from falling out going down the road.
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I have one of those flow though tailgates, like for pulling %th wheels. This is the best of both worlds. It keeps stuff in, yet I can still see right behind me, and I'm getting the better mileage. I'm trying to get the time to build a swing out gate for my spreader, though. I will still keep this other gate on it as well.
  5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Hey, I see that you saw my truck from the pictures form, That spreader has been on that truck since 1999 and I have never had salt or shovels fall out of the back. Because of the weight of the bags they are most likely not going to fall out the back. Anyway I will get some pictures later to show you a better view of this.
  6. Young Pup

Thanks Ultimate plow. Thanks for the other responses as well. What do you guys think about putting one of those nets on the back of the truck? It looks like you have one on your truck Ultimate Plow.

I understand the concern of the small things but if I had salt in the back the small things would be up near the cab. Hence the salt should stop it from sliding out. Just throwing out more ideas here.

Thanks again for the replys.

7. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

I use a flow through gate too, this is a picture of a K5 I cut into a pickup. With the big window and the flow gate, rear vision is really great. Normally I have shovels and de-ice bags (for walks) in there.

My daughter gets all her pimp moves from her old man. :nod:

TLC K5 chop.jpg
  8. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

My dad plowed with out the tailgate because you could see better. If you still need a tailgate use a mesh after market one.
  9. drplow

drplow Senior Member

tailgate rust

i leave mine off, one less thing to rust out.
    its much easier to plow residential driveways w/o it and with the ballast system i have, nothing will fall out either.
    i screw together a bunch of 2x4's and make a brace system so that when i fill if with sandbags it wont slip out and i have room for tool and etc.
  10. Young Pup

Thanks for the picture TLC. Spreader goes on Friday so I will take a look at with the gate on and off.

Yeah I was thinking of those after market nets to put on there too.