1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate lightbar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Evil PSD, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Evil PSD

Evil PSD Member

looking to get a tailgate led lightbar for my 2010 f250, looking to see which one is the best out there and which ones to stay away from, any input is great guys thanks Thumbs Up

2. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Sweet light thanks for posting it.

4. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

purchased the recon light for my gmc canyon i will have it installed on tue or wed. i went with the bigger one

5. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

I see the bigger ones with burned out lights all the time and it bugs me!

6. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

X2. I hate when they have burned out led's!

7. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I ordered and just received one of the red Recon bars based on what everybody said here. It's going on a red 2010 F-350. Call me picky, but I do have a couple of beefs with the design:

1) The mounting holes do not even come close to what Ford provided at the rear of the bed. (Minor gripe) This will require drilling two new holes (chance for corrosion) and leave the two factory holes on either side of the bar. Sure, a little sealer will help here, but it's never as good as the factory finish.

2) The wiring (with trailer plug) comes straight out the back of the bar. (Major gripe) This means that there's little hope of mounting the bar flat to the surface. My plan is to hard wire it, so the flat 4 plug is getting cut off anyway and I can drill a 3rd new hole in the truck to allow the wiring to go straight back through the panel, but most folks will have to space the bar out and away from the panel. Come on folks, a little forethought would have been nice hear. Couldn't the wiring come out the bottom (in the mounted position) of the bar? For those that are simply going to plug the flat 4 plug in, this would have been sweet. Oh wait, nobody has an F-350 in China. Now it makes sense.

9. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

to be honest im not a happy recon owner. im on my 3rd rear tailgate light bar. infact the new one has been sitting on top of my tool box for about 4 months now.

My biggest issue with recon is the wire size. i mean come on really wire thinner then hair. the sh*t just falls apart and can pulled apart with minimal effort.

Id honestly pay a couple bucks more for a kit that came with thick wire. I guess thats what you get when everything they sell is SOO cheap.

I actually bought their roof clearance lights (before i knew better) and the moment i got the kit, was the moment i was on the phone getting a return authorization because again the wires were so damn thin and cheap.

Other things they sell are decent, their LED replacement bulbs for the factory clearance light have held up for a while as well as their third brake light assembly.

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Interesting, because wire size was definitely not one of my complaints. In fact I was kind of surprised that they used as large of a wire as they did because LEDs don't draw much at all. If anything, the wires on the one I just got are oversized. It's going to get installed on my friend's plow truck tomorrow, so I guess we'll just have to see how long it lasts.

11. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

I dont know if they got smart and changed things but the last 3 bars ive have had, had like 24/28 gauge wiring. and the clearance lights were the same.

I know LEDs don't draw much, but seriously something that thin just doesn't sit well with me. I mean all the wiring harnesses ive built (custom ones for lights, gauges, switch panel) ive used thicker 14 (i think) gauge wire. Id rather have it oversize then undersized. and wiring isnt a place id EVER get cheap on. Just seen too many issues/problems with cheap thin wiring.

12. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

iv been getting the run around with recon for almost a yr now with my tailgate bar. i paid $150ish for it. didnt evon last the summer and i was like a water tank. then it stayed on so i hada pull the fuse. i emailed recon for warranty. they asked for pictures and recipts. all was good. but they were outa stock so they offered me a lower priced bar. i said no. i paid top dollar i want the same one. so then they said well email me again in a month or so. did that still outa stock. they were outa stock all 2011 tell about oct. i emailed them again. he said give me a call plus id have to pay a $24.95 handeling fee (did not say that when i first emailed). i called. no one there. emailed the guy. he said he was gone all that week. so i tryed again next week. no answer. i called again. got a person. they forwared me to a voice mail. left a voice mail. no call back. i emailed again.... and again and again...... been over a month no responses...... i would NOT buy from them ever again due to there ****** customer service.... and there suprised fees.....

13. Evil PSD

Evil PSD Member

i hate hearing stories like that, im big on customer service i see it as 50% product 50% customer service when i buy something. If you treat your customers like s*** they wont be coming back and word of mouth spreads fast amoung these forums. im still debating if its even worth getting one or putting money else where haha like my tank since winter sucks for fuel :realmad:

14. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

bought time! he emailed me with a number i called it and after the $24.95 fee and another $5 fee "i still have no idea for what" its on its way..... like i said i dont like recons support and i really dont like there suprise fees.

15. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I have the 60in Recon light bar mounted under the tailgate of my F350 and I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of it for what I paid for the damn thing. It didn't make it past two years before the truck beat it to death and now only half of it works I'm going to make my own out of LED marker lights when I get the time and money. Too Stroked know's I'm as anal as anyone if not more so about now I treat my truck and it's a certified pavement queen that does not get beat on and lives a pretty pampered life so if I can't get one to last on the back of my truck that says quite a bit about the quality of the Recon light bar.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  16. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

FWIW...the Mini Recon is probable made by www.innovativelight.com

I bet it's their 253-4400, and its $30 + shipping from them, you still need the trailer plug (I just ordered 2 for my friends and I, gonna make them fit our dodges).

17. RoadRash

RoadRash Junior Member
    from USA

Anyone have any idea how one could go about making this strobe?

The light has a left turn, right turn wire, this would probably be what I would want to strobe.

18. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

get an led flasher and hook the pos lead of the bars turn signals to the outputs of the flasher. Verry simple.

http://www.sirennet.com/soetffc06led.html there are cheeper models out there but this is the one i have on my truck

19. RoadRash

RoadRash Junior Member
    from USA

I thought that was all that was needed. Always apprehensive when things are that easy.

To keep the original design I would leave the light bar plug into the factory 4 pin trailer wire and splice the flasher into the left/right turn wires. Would there be any concern when turning the flasher on of unwanted power going places not intended?

I guess what I'm getting to is when I turn the flasher on (connected to light bar), do I have to worry about my dome light strobeing or something along those lines.

20. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

OH ok if you want to do it and still have functional turn signals you have to go about it a little difrently. you have a few options. you can wire it up to a single throw doubble pole stwitch. one side for turn signails one for led flash. Or you could do it like you said just splice the flasher into the signail wires HOWEVER you will need to add a diode on the turn signal side before the flasher so it dosent back feed to your BCM and short out your signal circuit.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012