1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate hopper "dump door"

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Alan, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I added this dump door to our TrynEx hopper. Make emptying it a cinch. The slides are 3'8" X 3/4" polyethylene and the soor is a piece of 14 ga. stainless steel. I have access to a mill so I cut a relief on the back of the poly strips for the door to slide in. This is a closed view

View attachment salt dump closed.jpg
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

After I had everything in place I cut a hole with a holesaw behind the door. Now it's easy to dump a load that isn't needed. Put a tarp on the ground, open the door and turn on the vibrator. Also works good if you need to get salt out of the hopper for doing sidewalks.

View attachment salt dump open.jpg
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Looks like a great modification.

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

That dump door saved me a mess of hassle this morning. Got a chunk of 1" stone in the salt pile at some point. It got stuck in the auger above the spinner. Made enough of an obstacle that the spinner would go into overlaod as soon as the vibrator was turned on. Brought it home, put a tarp on the ground and dumped the hopper, which was full right then. Took out the two bolts that hold hte hopper in the frame and lifted it off the auger/spinner and had to pry the stone out of the flighting. Pain in the butt,, but a lot less than it would have been if I had had to clean the hopper out by hand with a scoop.