1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate hinges

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MarkEagleUSA, Aug 21, 2011.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I tried replacing my tailgate hinges yesterday and ran into a little snag. The truck-side trunions were a piece of cake to swap out, the problem is that the ones on the tailgate itself appear to be welded... I can bend the upper half away but the "cup" end seems solid against the sheet metal.

These are the newer style with the single bolt hole at the top. Am I missing something here? Do they need to be removed with a chisel?

2. MarkEagleUSA

I played around with the hinges a little more tonight and they appear to definitely be welded on. Tried a chisel but it's more than just a spot weld. I didn't want to force anything so I gave up (again) before doing more damage than I was willing to do.

Has anyone successfully installed new hinges and if so what's the secret?

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Can't help you if we don't know what your ride is.Are you referring to your sig. 97?????

4. MarkEagleUSA

That would be it!

5. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

I used a 4 1/2 in grinder with a thin cutting disk on my 99 obs chevy.

6. MarkEagleUSA

I guess they are welded? Does the replacement hinge actually hold with just the one bolt? I would think it might try to rotate.

And here I thought this was going to be a quick and simple repair. Turns out to be one of the most difficult so far! :realmad:

7. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

The tailgate side hinge is the female of the 2. The 1 bolt holds it fine. Replaced mine 2 yrs ago, the tailgate was rusty. Now i am afraid to put any weight on that side. Rust never sleeps.

8. MarkEagleUSA

I might find out for myself if I can ever get the old ones off. I tried again today to remove them and they are most definitely welded. I stopped trying to chisel them off when the surrounding metal on the tailgate started to deform. I guess I'll have to find a thin cutoff wheel and try that route.