1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate hinge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jklawn&Plow, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Anybody know if the tailgate can be beefed up a little. I use a loadhandler and last spring while emptying the 5 cuyds grass (~5ft high in bed) the passenger side hinge let loose a little and bent due to the weight. It was a 2000 1500NBS. I got rid of the truck and will be using a 2011 3500HD this year. I am thinking of sticking a 2x4 under the outside edge when its down but might need to make it adjustable. Any other suggestions? I'll be 55 in 8 yrs and figure I'll get a dump insert when I'm old. The method I use takes me only 10 minutes to empty the grass.

2. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

I am getting a second dump insert for my 1997 f350....First one is pretty rotted away..... Best thing i ever bought for the lawn crew. I heard Kaminski's has some that they are trying to blow out....as for an answer to your question...MMM broom and shovel for me

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I was able to switch the tailgate with cables on my 97 to an 88 with metal bars. Best tailgate mod ever, cables are a fr***ing joke. I've broken them numerous times. Not that that solution applies to your year truck. Be nice if someone had an idea...I'd think placing something under it, like a 2x4, would scrape and dent the flimsy sheetmetal of the tailgate itself. I've got a loadhandler too, great tool. Amazing the stuff it will move, I've dumped shingles piled as high as the cab roof, damp loam, 3/4 stone, everything. At worst I've had to shovel around the wheeelwells to keep it moving, but it always works.

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

5. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I do eventually plan on getting a dump insert but I want too get the senior discount haha. (it competes with the VXT, pull plow, school for the kids) I need to get an insert that sits right on the bed 1" up. ( seems like tipster and the aluminum mount one are the only ones). I climb in and out all day long, I think I need to add a step somewhere. The piece that bent last year was the hinge at base not the cable connection. I guess a board under tailgate won't prevent weight at this point anyway. The HD's look a little beefier than 1/2 ton I guess I'll just wait till to see how it does.