1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate cables 1 tight / 1 loose issue - '03 silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snowzilla, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

With tailgate down I noticed on an '03 silverado 1500, the driver's side cable was tight & the passenger's side was not taut, even when standing on tailgate. Traded it for an '03 2500HD. Same exact issue. I get a feeling maybe this a quality control issue in these years. I don't like the physics of loading something heavy when 1 is loose.

Wonder if everyone else has the same experience with the 99-2007 era?

I think they should have stuck with the steel straps they worked fine.
  2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

That was a recall, are your's stainless? Check it out with your dealer. I had one break, and found out about the recall, free repair. That was about 5 years ago though.
  3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Good info. Just thought I would inquire before wasting money on new cables to result in same problem. Not sure if they are stainless - they should be the originals (black plastic coated cables).

Also don't like the sharp hex bolts they use (opposite tailgate handle). You have to be aware when loading things so you don't snag on.

I can inquire at a dealer on cable replacement.
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Just buy a new pair and be done with it. Mine wear out about every 18 months or so, the cables fray right in the middle where they bend...I usually find out about it when I put something heavy on the tailgate.