1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate brackets rusted off...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys-

The lower "tailgate hinge/mounting brackets" on my '03 GMC 2500HD have rusted to the point that nothing's holding the passengers' side lower portion of the gate in place :eek:

So, I need to replace these.. anyone know a good place to pick up a set (besides the stealer)?

2. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

LMC truck
  3. tracerich

tracerich Member
    from Earth

Dorman Part #38642 Any reputable parts store should have them in stock, or get them. The kit consists of four pieces and runs about twenty bucks.
  4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I've been able to get them at all the parts stores in the area ie: carquest, napa.
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same problem...WITH MY 82! This is why I hate new trucks. An 03 and it's already got parts rotted off it.
    Mine actually rotted away because the bed was rebuilt by a P.O., one bedside is GM, other wasnt available so they went with aftermarket. Few seasons as a plowtruck loaded with sand and the aftermarket side is rotted away by the hinge, as well as the small sections of bedfloor that were replaced with aftermarket. The main bedfloor and drivers side bedside are all GM and still look great.

If it's just the hinge itself that's gone, I got mine at Advance in the Help section.
  6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I picked up mine at a local auto parts (Chet Nichols) they are in the Help section of the parts store. I think they were under $20 for both sides.
  7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

It might just be the 99-02's, but as of 2 years ago when I had to replace all 4 of mine (both on the body and both on the tailgate rotted away at about the same rate), these were dealer only parts...and beleive me I looked as I don't like my local dealer at all.
  8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Ordered a set from amazon for $17 with free shipping. thanks guys!
  9. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I don't think they are much more then that from the dealer. I don't remember what they cost but it wasn't much
  10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Stealer wanted $65 for the set and another $35 to paint them to match.... no thanks! :laughing: