1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tail lights?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dkshooter, Feb 4, 2011.

1. dkshooter

dkshooter Junior Member

I have a uni mount on a 1995 3500hd everything works good but I have no tail lights on the truck? clearance markers are on the top of the cab work but not at the rear of the truck.
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

do they work without the plow on?
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the sockets to make sure they are not corroded. Check you bulbs to make sure they are not blown..I also believe you have a plug behind the bumber. Use a test light to make sure you have power.

Do you have brake lights??
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This should have nothing to do with the plow connections. I would start at the tail lights with a test light or voltmeter. Make sure you have a good ground for your tester and verify that there is or is not power at the socket. Next look under the rear end of the truck for damaged harnesses or disconnected plugs. Sometimes poorly installed trailer plug connections cause problems at the rear end. If all looks good then follow the main rear end harness up the frame of the truck and look for damage. Maybe a rock or something hit your wires. Beyond that I would be looking for a vehicle schematic and checking fuses / breakers in the main fuse panel. May be as simple as that.
  5. dkshooter

dkshooter Junior Member

thanks for the advice guys.the lights worked before installed the plow now nothing I did not cut any wires when the plow was installed.

here is what I have done so far I checked the wiring under the hood looked good
    unplugged the plow...no change
    checked all the fuses...good
    checked the bulbs themselves...good
    have not checked the harness we just had 17" and the bottom of the rig is pretty cloged right now and its -6 alittle too cold!
  6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

When you were installing the wiring for the plow, did you "unplug" and connectors that has to do with the OEM harness?