1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tail Light Strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by skferreri, Aug 27, 2010.

1. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

Im looking for a set of really bright tail light strobes for my ford pickup.I dont know to much about the different kinds of strobes out there.Any help would be great.
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Whelen. Easy to install and repair also very reliable! If you want brghtness then get LEDs! Which is about 75$ per strobe, (includes 15' cable and led) you'll want 4 cuz it looks better than two. You'll need a rocker switch and a on/off button switch. For you're mode button, plus some 14 gauge wire to wire it all up.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

Your standard 60 watt supply runs 10 watts per bulb.
    90 watters run 15 watts each..
    Then you step up to what the big boys like me run....22.5 watts...

I'm happy to anwser any questions you may have...
  4. Dissociative

Gotta disagree here....there is no led on the planet that is as bright as a strobe....its apples to oarnges as they are
    Two completly different pmroducts.....but hands down strobes are brighter
    Also...u wire LED with 18 or 20g as they draw no amps...14 is overkill
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  5. outdoor1

outdoor1 Junior Member

Have used STL in all my fleet trucks never ever a problem and for the money is awesome.(stl---speed tech lights))))))))))):0
  6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I'm going to have to disageree with you also; LED's are brighter than tubes.
  7. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That pic is awesome!
  9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you, I had a classic post deleted today it said Im with stupid with an up arrow. That made me :(
  10. Dissociative

what LED HAW is brighter than a strobe?...and how are you comparing these?...
    Are you saying that a white vertex is brighter than a 22.5watt strobe?!?!
  11. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i'm pretty disappointed with the brightness of my Vertex's....but i do like not having to have a power supply for them
  12. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

As a Law Enforcement officer(and plow operator on the side) there is NO DOUBT leds are the brightest lighting product "pound for pound" out there. Bright with little amp draw LEDs are the best option...except for one thing: Price. A wives-tale says a problem is they don't generate enough heat to melt snow and thus become obscured. Some loggers here(I've heard) switch to standard lights in the winter for their pups because of snow build up. I have seen this first hand and stopped several rigs to get them to clean off their taillights only to find LEDs in their taillights. I am currently researching/shopping LED options for my rig. But price has been a problem. Several manufacturers make complete four light kits with controller/switch , check Gall's(galls.com). Until the snow flies, keep dreaming of pennies from heaven.
  13. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Keeping the tail lights clean is always a pain in the ass. Strobes do heat up the lens and keep snow from stinking. BONUS but they draw so much power and are taxing if there on for a long time while plowing. This year I will be switching to led's. I'm ditching strobe all together. Im putting Leds on my salt spreader for the rear and roof mounted via magnet on the top. Rear lighting is GOLD for a plow truck because of the constant backing into traffic. Many of close calls over the years even with strobes... Just my 2 cents
  14. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I really like my Whelen LED vertex's. It was a bit more money ($75 per corner), but probably not all much more than good strobes with the controller. Nice things are:
    1. Really bright
    2. Easy install
    3. No controller needed
    4. Outlast strobes
    5. They draw way less power

I am a bit disapointed in the brightness of the rear ones while the reverse lights are on - somehow the light overpowers them or something.?. They are plenty bright at night with the reverse lights off.
  15. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

What type of switch do you use? I looked at their website and I couldn't find a switch. Does it have multiple flash patterns once you wire them all together?
  16. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

thats such a load of BS. All the cop cars here are now upfitted with LED tubes and they SUCK
  17. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I used one of the four factory upfitter switches in the dash of the '08 superduty. You can use any 12v switch as they are low amperage. The lights have a separate white wire that you provide 12v to and cycle through all of the patterns. There are many syncronized and non-synced patterns to choose from. Once you pick one - it stays there.
  18. chriso3wj

chriso3wj Member

19. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I'm selling my Ford Superduty 99-07 (will fit 08 - current) taillights with a hole for strobes or vertex leds if anyone is interested. $30 for the pair - shipped to anywhere in the 48. If you want the new vertex leds in them - add $150.
  20. John911

John911 Member

LED's last 50X longer than strobe ... way better deal over time. Better performance and purer color versus strobe.

If you have seen a LEO with bad LEDs, it's either off-brand product or bad install.