1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tail light strobes / led

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ultimateinc, Jan 5, 2015.

1. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

Hi guys looking to get some opinions. i had a set of strobes in my head lights & tail lights in my old truck. they were bright & nice. Now i got a new truck and just wanna throw something in the tail lights. gonna go led now. seen the 2 led kit on strobes & more believe its like around a $100 kit is that a decent one? i liked the led cause now you dont need the brain mounted in the vehicle like with the strobe kit. I dont need something expensive just something for the tail lights i already have a strobe on top. thanks for any input.

2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I went with Whelen. Little bit more money but better warranty and an American made product from an American company.

3. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I'm a big fan of the Fenix cannons, I love my amber/white leds in my reverse light, blindingly bright

4. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Whelen and Feniex are both great company's.

5. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

I installed a pair of amber/clear feniex cannons the other day in my reverse lights and really like them.

6. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I have my cannons with separate switches for front and back and a pattern change switch, I love being able to turn all 4 on white when I'm out in the woods or need some light out in the field, for whatever reason, they are out of sync right now but that is easily remedied.

7. ultimateinc

Thanks guys. I went to feniex.com and they have no pricing. Also I am alittle confused as to how they work. They are a led hideaway, then when you put the truck in reverse they are a sold bright back up light ? Then when you go back into drive they flash ?

8. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

We carry all three brands and depending on what color lens you're going to mount them behind will dictate if you can use them as a dual function LED. One thing to keep in mind if you go with a half Amber and half clear LED your decreasing your light output of the light in half because you would only be using the amber half for warning. Once you do that you kind of defeat the purpose of the hideaway because they are already at a fairly small light to begin with. My opinion would be to use some separate LED lights for backup lights and let the LEDs burn power behind your lens. I am not a fan of any split the color hideaway LEDs. You just increase the output by half which is a lot when you're looking at such a small light.

9. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Louis I value your opinion, but I would have to respectfully disagree, although I am sure a solid color led will put out more light in whichever solid color you choose, the cannons put out more than adequate color/brightness in my setup(clear lenses, replaced my factory backup lights in backup light housing, and clear lenses up front on corners) The cannons have 12 diodes? Six amber six white. The multicolor effect is just cool I think. The cannons have 3 separate modes depending on how you wire them in. When I reverse, they turn solid white. When my warning lights are on, the amber/white lights override the backup function and continue to flash whichever pattern I have chosen. They are a powerful light in a small package. They run anywhere from 60 to 75 per light which is expensive. I do not have any experience with any other brand lights so I can't really compare to other products, but I know the cannons are near if not the top of the line from what I have read. They are literally blindingly bright. I personally don't think I need any other lights or a light bar or beacon on top of the roof because they are kind of overkill already, as is.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  10. ultimateinc

Thank you guys for all the input. it has been very helpful and informative. strobes & more, LOUIS , do you guys still have free shipping going on ?

11. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I think what Louis was saying - and I agree with him - is that if you run the split mode in such a way that you only use the amber half for warning and the white half for backup - you lose 50% of the lighting power. Sounds like you're running the full light with both colors at once for warning. That should give you a pretty good power level in that mode. In reverse however, you're only seeing half the power of the light.

12. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

hide away

Although splitting the hide away will reduce output, the whelen vertex has six led's where the Feniex Cannon has 12. So, by splitting the Cannon you are doing nothing to the output when compared to the vertex.