1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tail-Gate spreaders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by micdd, Nov 3, 2002.

1. micdd

micdd Junior Member
    from N.Y.

I'm just starting out. I'm looking for a tail-gate spreader that will spread the rock salt with magic on it. Any body know of a good
    brand / model that really works? Would like to keep the price
    down below $ 1000.00
    I have a 1999 GMC 2500 Ext. Cab Shortbed.
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Most of the single stage unites will spread the rock salt.But could not tell you if they are under $1,000.My fisher speedcaster II went for around $2,200 a few years ago uninstalled.
  3. micdd

micdd Junior Member
    from N.Y.

Thank You for the info. I was looking at the Buyers Brand in the Northern catalog. 600 lbs spreader for $900 or the SUV spreader
    that holds 300 lbs for $400. I did see the Fisher Spreaders. That
    is on the wish list. Budget lets me go for $ 1000 max..

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Western single stage, a buyers old style, and a trynex. They all work fine, especially with magic salt. The magic is very easy to spread.

I am looking for another one now, and would like another Wetern 1000 single. Its worked great for us, and it matches the color on my newest truck !
  5. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Don't know about the new style buyers but the old style one (like the old Meyers) are great The only thing with northern is that they charge a pretty good freight charge to deliver one of them. When we bought a buyers about 5 years ago from them I think the cost was around $700.00 plus tax plus $200.00 to ship it to us, then the biggest pain in the a$$ is the freight company will call one morning and say it's on the truck and should be delivered between 9 and 5 and there has to be somebody there to unload it of the truck. Sooo if you got time and wanna wait go for it. Also I think when we ordered it we ordered it in October and it was in stock at their warehouse and it still took 3 weeks to get it delivered.
  6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Angelos Supplies has them for under $1000, including the optional receiver mount. We too are purchasing one this year, as a back up to our V boxes, and for spot saltings.

The only drawback to the Buyers SUV that holds 300 lbs is that it has no speed control. When you turn it on, it is full blast. It can however be wired up with a speed controller used with the larger model. That costs about $200. The other drawback, is that the motor is mounted on the bottom of the spinner, and sits VERY LOW. My brother had one of these on his Dodge, and tore the motor off backing into our driveway the first day he had it!

Buyers has smartened up, and now, on the 600 lb model, they mount the motor in a sealed plastic housing, INSIDE the hopper (like Western).

So even though I really only want the 300 lb unit, due to the motor location, and lack of speed control. we will be getting the 600 lb unit. Ours will be mounted on a Ranger, that sits MUCH lower than a Dodge 1500 (which my brother had).

Food for thought.

7. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Bought a Buyers for a backup last year. Ended up getting the unit that holds 600 lbs. with a receiver hitch adapter with it although you can mount them directly to the bumper and can save a $150.00. I do agree that the moter does hang low and definately sits below the unit and is subject to all the salt abuse. Definately make sure all the wiring hookups are covered with dialetic grease to save the terminals from being damaged. It has the variable speed control and I would definately pay the extra money for that unit. You can empty the unit very quickly on the high setting and with no speed adjustment you are going to loose any savings with the nonadjustable speed unit unit on salt cost and plus it will save your back from having to keep filling it. You can lay 300 lbs.of salt in no time 3-5 minutes on the high setting. :cool:
  8. micdd

micdd Junior Member
    from N.Y.

Thank You all for yor opinion's... I'll be looking to o with the 600lb
    models with the motor high up in by the bumpers.
    Anyone know who has the best price's ?

Angelos-supplies, Central Parts Warehouse, and J Thomas are ususally all pretty close on these models.
  10. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

My best advice is dont buy yourself short cause youll only come to regret it later. I just priced a Fisher 1000 for my F-250 with a swing away mount and on/off switch for $857 uninstalled. Up grade to a variable speed controller for an addition $180.00

So if you get a cheaper hitch mount unit but cant use the bed of the truck then it means no snowblowers off the back, and loading salt over the side, or removeing the salter first to allow the forklift to load you. (Made that mistake on my dumptruck.)

Keep shopping around and buy locally if you can. Why pay for shipping when you can use that money localy for installation or upgrading to a vari control? Plus then you can develop a relationship with that dealer for when you need parts in the middle of the storm and they help you out with what u need.

11. micdd

micdd Junior Member
    from N.Y.

Anybody know where you can get the fisher tailgate spreaders
    for $ 800 to $1000... My local dealer in Poughkeepsie N.Y.
    wants $1750 for the 1000 model
    $ 2295 for the 2000 model......

We messed around with the buyers today and made it into a slide in hitch mount. Turned out great, and offers more protection for the motor.

another look

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The airflow MSS is really the only spreader that is capable of spreading all types of materials for under 1500.00. True western and fisher sell two stage units but with all the options they cost as much as a mild steel v box.
    I have had 2 MSS units and they are really nice.
  15. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

I would put a rubber flap coming from the bumper down to protect the rear of the truck. I know someone else that did the same thing to get the moter out of the slop and to raise it but ended really causing a lot of damage to the rear bumper and the back of the truck from all the salt laying and flying around back there. Just a thought.

Good idea. That is only a backup unit, which had to be as universal as possible. Most of our trucks have permanent units on them, and they are mounted lower.

Remember though, we use Magic, so corrosion is no longer much of an issue.
  17. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Hey Tom,

Bring that thing by the ol' store some time the next couple of days if you get a chance. I just picked up a used one just like it for next to nothing and need to figure out how to mount it.

By the way, got your message the other day about your buddy in Holland. I diddn't get a chance to make it out there for the Grand Opening, but it's noce to know he's there. I've heard his ads on the radio too.

PS: micdd, Do some leg-work sometimes you can find some good deals on used equip. if you check with other larger plowing companies in your area. They always seem to be upgrading to bigger and better stuff. (at least around here...)
  18. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

bent way donw LOW

Pineisland. We mounted our Buyers in much the same fashion. We found out several snowfalls later that we should have BEEFED up the mount. Scenerio: full hopper, backing up too fast, hit brakes hard to keep from sliding off pavement into large mud hole, truck caught dry pavement, hopper LAID DOWN! No joke. Had to hook large ratchet strap to fifth wheel ball and pull up so we could get back to shop. Re-bilt and installed 2 small ratchet straps to top of hopper frame down to bed rails. No problems from there. Good luck:nono: :D
  19. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Here's my Buyers it sells for around $1000.00 from the dealers

I got my new but used twice for less than 1/2 the cost.

View attachment salter.jpg
  20. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Got a heck of a deal on a spearder this week. A year old Fisher speed caster 1 speader used about 5 times for only 200 bucks. Going to try and hook up the speader to one of the trucks in the next couple days and get a picture. It doesn't match the truck but it works.