1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tail Gate Spreaders

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Cfdff85, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

How much do tail gate spreaders go for and usually how much will they hold?

2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

7 to 9 cubic feet, and 7 to 1500 dollars.

Get one that swings away from the tailgate. They may be a pain but so is loading a snowblower or product in the bed if they dont.

Go to the meyer, western, weblinks above and and check out Angelos Supply or any of the snowplow parts warehouses....youll see enough spreaders to keep you window shopping for a wile.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There are two basic types of tailgate spreaders - one-stage and two-stage. A one-stage spreader is designed for #1 rock salt. The salt drops through a hole directly onto the spinner. A two-stage has a small chain which goes along the bottom of the spreader and brings the salt to the hole, then onto the spreader. A one stage spreader can cost less than $1,000 up to about $1500. A two-stage can cost nearly as much as a Vbox. With a two-stage spreader, you can use practically any material, including wet sand, as the chain serves to prevent "bridging". Fortunately, bridging in a tailgate spreader caused by damp/wet material can be easily broken up vs the bridging caused by freezing. A good add-on feature for one-stage spreaders is a vibrator. This shakes the spreader, causing bridged material to loosen and fall to the bottom.

As LLM Ann Arbor said, check out the different sites and models to see what meets your needs. I wish I had been willing to consider a tailgate instead of buying a Vbox and a one ton truck to put it on. I'd have saved a lot of money.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Snow-Ex 1075 Reciever Hitch mount, bought 11/05 Installed $720.00 Very happy with it

5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Meyers big tailgater has an adjustment on the shaft for #1 to Sand to pellets Mick.

I dont know about the others or how adjustale they are.

I havent really researched it as im not in the market.

But the Meyers swings away, and it holds 9 cubic feet. As big as is available in any model any brand as is my understanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  6. Mick

from Maine

Looks good. Just about the time you get it figured out, they come up with something new. This one does have an adjustable spinner to use sand and pellets. They also provide a vibrator as standard equipment for sand and damp material. So, yes, they figured a way to use what's apparently a one-stage spreader for any material.

7. Mick

from Maine

Looks good. Just about the time you get it figured out, they come up with something new. This one does have an adjustable spinner shaft to use sand and pellets. They also provide a vibrator as standard equipment for sand and damp material. So, yes, they figured a way to use what's apparently a one-stage spreader for any material.