1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tail gate spreader

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Quality SR, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

This year is my first year spreading. I decided to buy a western pro flo for my chevy k5,to try it out. Rather than buying a v box for my pick up (not in my truck :nono: thats my baby!!) My question is does anyone use tail gate spreader?
    Rich

2. Quality SR

Also I noticed that there is a piece of chain at the bottom of the spreader, what stops the sand at the top from clumping together??? is there anything out there that prevents this?
    Rich

3. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I have used a tailgate spreader for years (picked mine up at a garage sale for $25) and it has worked great (I only do residential and a small commercial lot). The best method to keep it from clumping up at the top is to simply keep it covered, and make sure the sand you are putting in it is dry and not already wet. Store the sand in a dry heated place, and make sure every time before you load it up that it is dry. Good luck!

4. Quality SR

Thank you Dodge ram for responding. The spreader didn't come with a cover, I am going to buy one this week. I am buying my sand in bulk from a guy, ill too also add salt to keep it from freezing. Thank you...... Rich

5. Quality SR

Dodge Ram what are your pro's and con's on tail gate spreaders?

6. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Well I have never used any other type of spreader (such as those that take up a considerable amount of bed). So my view is limited. First, I love it in the fact that it is easy set up, easy wiring, and all that jazz. I also like it in the fact, that since it is a simpler machine, fixes are generally easy to preform, and don't require tons of knowledge of the machine and its parts, or general repair knowledge. I also like it because where I'm from I can get bags of sand cheaper than I can get bulk (I'm not willing to drive the hour and a half to get my bulk cheaper). It's simple to load, simple to operate, and with a small mirror attached to my bumper (I made it myself using a clamp) I can always tell if it's running properly. I also like the fact that it is simple to load, and I can put way more sand in the truck bed then what I know I will use, so I know I will never run out of sand on a trip out! All in all, it was the best buy (I got my cheap like I said earlier) for me, and for the residential stuff that I do and the few commercial lots, it works like a dream and I couldn't ask for more! Good Luck!

7. Quality SR

Ok thats what i figured. How much do you pay for bagged sand? i might end up doing that.I have the sander installed on a k5 blazer, and if i need to i have the pick up. but i really don't want to use that..........:cry: Ill use it for the bagged sand though.
    Rich

8. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

It just depends on where you buy it from. Places like Lowes or Home Depot tend to charge more than someplace like Walmart. However I've gotten great deals at Lowes and Home Depot and ended up paying like $1.75 a bag. Also keep in mind that you will need to keep a good supply on hand, or know that you have a large place like Lowes or Home Depot that you can run and get it, because come the first big storm, many places will be sold out of it.

9. Quality SR

Is that for a 50 pound bag($1.75)?? :dizzy:

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Quality, are your accounts asking for sand or salt? Being in NY I am surprised your using sand.

Anyway, Tailgate spreaders are good if you only have a small amount to do (less than 2 acres). I don't recommend driving around with it loaded, you'll leak out product and it puts a lot of stress on your hitch.

80lb bags get heavy quick on a cold night so I stick with 50lb'ers. You won't be able to compete in price with the bulk guys though. This is why I build salting into my contracts, I am already on-site plowing.

Just be careful backing up, your 3' longer in the tail-end:eek: and add lots of lights.

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15713&d=1140296719

11. Quality SR

Thanks for the response Grn Mtn. I bought the tail gate spreader this year. I got this account 2 weeks ago. It is almost 50,000 sf. I was thinking about buying bulk for $40 a yard. I have a pickup, and the k5 is set up for plowing and sanding. I am normally by my self. If the storm is at night i have my brother.(I bought the sander to do the sanding myself because i cant rely on others to help me) I was looking for the easier way to do this job. If i really have too ill have to sub it out. But like i said this has happened to me last year, and I got Scr**ed.
    He didn't want straight salt, but i made him aware that bulk is a mix. Any advice?? :dizzy:
    Rich

12. Quality SR

Your truck looks nice....... Ill be posting pictures soon. I have to figure out how and i have to take some of my truck..

13. Grn Mtn

okay your fine at just over an acre, and bulk is fine also, BUT, what is your plan of action for storing and loading????

also if your going to use bulk make sure you have the top screen installed and a vibrator. The screen will keep the big chunks from falling in and the vibrator will keep wet materials moving.

14. Quality SR

I have a screen to break it up and a cover but i don't have a vibrator... I will probably use the pick up to pick up the sand from my friends place.. Ill see what happens for the first fall if it dont work out ill have to sub it out.. I figured 2 yard for 50,000 what do you think..?

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

2 yards is way more then you will need for 50,000sq. ft. You should not even use 1 yard. If you have a single stage spreader I do not recommend filling it until you need to spread. Plow with it empty, you will only pack the spreader to the point that it will not work.

16. Quality SR

Thanks for the advice. So 2 yards is to much. About a yard? I know about plowing with it empty. That would be to much on my truck.

17. Grn Mtn

Depending on Temperature, Moisture, Type of Precip and client needs, you'll use about 14 50lb bags +/- 5 bags.

18. Quality SR

Thats it????!!!!????? only 14 bags???:dizzy:

19. Quality SR

The spreader holds 950#.. 14 bags is 700#, thats like only 3/4. Are you sure...???? If that is the case that is great.... You know better than me. but i don't know!! :confused:

20. Grn Mtn

If your putting it down after plowing yes, 3/4 of a yard (ton) salt will do it. If your spreading over 1" of snow or if its 4* and very dry (low humidity) than you could put double that down.

Also you don't need to put down where the cars park, they drip salt and the heat from the engines melt snow.

I put it heavy at the entrances and handicap lanes, then drive down the driving lanes, if any is left over than i will spread it in the parking spots closest to the entrance.