1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tail gate sander

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by robertpkerrsr@h, Dec 24, 2008.

1. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

I have been plowing for 36 years with out any sanding capabilities. My own driveway gives me the most ice issues. I have a 2001 2500 HD Duramax 6 ft body with a fiberglass cap on the back and an 8 ft Fisher Minute Mount plow. I was considering a hitch mounted type of sander. Does anyone out there have a similar set up or any thoughts in general? From checking around on line it appears that some of the sanders will only spread salt. I will probably only be spreading sand. Thanks for any help.

RPK

2. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

If you only plan to throw sand then don't waste money on a tailgate spreader. Just invest in a bucket and a pair of gloves. Tailgate spreaders just bridge up and piss you off. I know there will be guys on here that say that their spreaders throw sand but don't listen they just want someone else to look as dumb as them for trying to throw it..

3. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

What he said.... Never heard of anyone that could spread sand with a tailgate spreader. I even tryed my 3point tractor spreader and it did not work without someone poking the sand down with a baseball bat. I had to get a Western Tornado to get good results. I also tarp the sand to keep it dry.

4. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

Thanks for the advise guys. That's what I suspected. I won't waste my $$

RPK

5. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Not sure if a vibrator would work to keep the sand flowing. I use one (That doesn't sound good, does it?) for bulk salt w/ my tailgate spreader, and it works fine.
    Not sure I would spent $300 to find out, though.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A Western Pro Flow 2 will spread sand. It has a conveyor belt in the bottom. I own one and spread bulk salt and pickle mix, no vibrator.

7. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

tailgates are junk, I finally couldnt take my western 1000 anymore and took the plunge into a big dog vbox now. Popped its cherry for 8 hours today and I couldnt be happier. Like said above invest in a poly type vbox thats electric, price is way cheaper then a standard vbox, probably double a decent sized tailgate spreader but it is worth its weight in gold to not get the headaches of the think jamming up every 5seconds

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

9. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

Agreed. The Air Flo MSS spreads sand well, but you pay a pretty penny for it (~$3500?). A buddy of mine has one. I've seen it spread bulk sand...on my driveway. No problems. But it's an exceptional spreader.

10. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

I gave $4500 for my new Beyers snow dog. I fill it up and glad I have the bigger [8ft] size because I get stopped by customers as I am sanding other lots, to come do theirs. Here in OKLA. no one plans well. I carry enough to do several Dr, Offices and strip malls on the way to and from my stockpile.

11. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Tailgate spreaders are a waste of money...........

12. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

A Snowex 1575 will spread Sand Salt mix...fits In the Trailer hitch

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  13. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

:dizzy::jester:

14. brimfield

brimfield Member

I'm in the market for a tailgate spreader too and I am wondering if you use dry bag sand mixed with salt if this works. I do this with a fertilizer spreader and it works, but it wont work with the town dpw wet sand mix

15. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

My air-flo mss works GREAT with sand/salt even wet sand. I guess you don't know it all. I bought it used and works for me. I do from time to time get gopher holes but you v-box guys do to and don't tell me you don't. Check out the Meyer hot shot spreader. It might be just what your looking for. I don't know if it works or not but it says it does sand/salt. I'll sell ya mine if your interested. I'm right on the cuff of it being to small with my accounts growing