1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tail Gate not staying closed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TomsSnowPlowING, Aug 14, 2012.

1. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

I pull it to see if it locks closed. It stays closed.
    Then when I go over hard bump flips open.
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

When was the last time you lubes all the latches, mine have done this I fluid filmed all the latch mechanisms & pivot points, opened & closed it a few times, it stoped
  3. Paul D

Paul D Member

Ditto....lube everything.
  4. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Check the hinges too. If they're badly worn the tailgate can bounce and the latches may open.
  5. TomsSnowPlowING

Okay that idea be 13 months today I have this truck.
  6. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Mine dose same thing, some times it latches and other times it wont then flops down pulling out of the driveway or in the winter .
  7. 03Duramax

03Duramax Junior Member

Pull the trim ring off from around the handle, there are two rods that run to the latches, lube that up and make sure you push each rod away from one and other.
  8. TomsSnowPlowING

That trim ring came off last winter.
    Power wash inside tailgate & lube (PB Blaster & white spray grease) so far doing the trick.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  9. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

at work we use something called sta-lube. its water proof and heat resistant used for brake parts and whatever. i think you can pick it up at advanced. i would inspect your hinges as was mentioned before. i had to build my own replacement hinges for this exact reason the dorman replacement hinges where junk that didn't fit and the gm replacements where too expensive ($65 per side).
  10. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

That tailgate bezel is cheap on ebay and two seconds to put in. Keeps the crap from getting in there.
  11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Clean up as much rust as you can on the rods, the handle's guts inside the tailgate, the latches, etc. PB Blaster is helpful, as mentioned above. Then, as mentioned, white lithium grease, and plenty of it. You must replace that trim ring, and you can get it from the Dorman Help! rack at Autozone if you don't want to do it on eBay. Losing it is what caused the problem, and you'll have to keep fixing it again and again if you don't replace it.

Ever since I fixed mine it doesn't close with a nice tactile click like it did when new, just an oddly dead thud, but it has never flopped open on me.
  12. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

I have two '04's and have had to replace the original trim rings/bezels on both tailgates. I've tried three of those afternmarket jobbies now and they are so cheap, the tabs bust and the bezel falls off once I've closed the gate gate a few times. I don't even use the gate in my pulling truck anymore, but I need to grab another OEM one for the plow truck. I do keep everything lubed on that gate, so I've never had issues with the actual gate staying up. Just wish the bezels would fit better and have better holding tabs.