1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tahoe wont come out of park

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gearhead0383, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Gearhead0383

Gearhead0383 Junior Member
    from ohio

Any one happen to know where the p/n switch is located on a 99 chevy tahoe 4x4 or the brake shift interlock? Truck starts in park but wont come out of park, and wont start in neutral lol.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's up on the column under there. Just follow the brake switch wiring and you'll find it.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually it's on the side of the trans on the manual shaft. The brake interlock solenoid is buried near the steering column toward the right side. But the interlock isn't the problem if you suspect a P/N switch issue anyway. The switches do die sometimes from internal corrosion but be sure to check the connectors too while you're under there.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

U can call me a ******* if you'd like lol

5. Gearhead0383

Gearhead0383 Junior Member
    from ohio

Yeah looked into it a little more. The bracket that holds the shift linkage into place had busted off. Thats fixed now so the only problem I have now is that it still wont come out of park but now starts in neutral so that narrowed it down a bit.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't sweat it Bill, we all have our off moments, me included. :salute:

First thing to do to be sure it's not another issue other than the interlock solenoid is to disconnect the interlock solenoid rod from the shift lever. You can simply pop the rod end on the solenoid off the shift linkage on the column after removing the knee bolster panel for access. If it can then be shifted out of P then the interlock solenoid is where the issue lies. However if it still won't come out then there's another mechanical issue somewhere in the linkage.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a quick pic I dug up to give you an idea where to locate the interlock solenoid....

85098779.gif