1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tahoe shift motor troubles??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by randym99, Oct 23, 2008.

1. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Hey has anyone had dealings with the push button 4x4 set up in a 99chev tahoe.Mine shifted into 4x4 and seconds later the service 4x4 light came on in the dash.It worked fine in 4where but now won,t shift to any other mode.Was told that the system consisted of a dash switch,two speed sencers,the shift motor/gearbox and position sencer.I have replaced the dash switch(mine looked corroaded on the back?)I have also replaced to shiftmotor with a good used. Still nothing.What should i try next?? ANY ideas on this would be welcome.Thanks in advance Randy .
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The switch assembly and the shift motor are the two most common failure candidates on these systems when they refuse to shift but since you've already been there...

Remove the shift motor again and attempt to shift the T-case manually by turning the shift shaft with an adjustable wrench. This will rule out any internal T-case problems with the shift motors physical ability to move the internal shift mechanism. Make sure you put the T-case back into the same position as it was before replacing the motor again. You also did that when you swapped the motor the first time correct? If you didn't, and simply forced the motor until it fit you likely damaged the motor when you originally installed it.

Make sure the ground connection is good also.