1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tahoe Question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Nozzleman, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

I just purchased a 2003 Z71 Tahoe with the 5.3 liter engine for my wife and although I won't be plowing with this truck I was hoping you GM guys could answer a couple questions for me.

1. Why did GM put such a small oil filter on a V-8 engine. I seriously think the Nissan Maxima I traded in on it had a bigger oil filter.

2. What transmission is in this truck. I am guessing either a 4L60E or a 4L65E but I would like to know for sure.

This is my first GM truck and so far I think it's a decent vehicle. It has good power, gives a nice ride, and seems well built. I don't think I would give up my Dodge/Cummins for a GM pickup but for my wife it should do.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The use of smaller filters is usually due to packaging restraints in the newer smaller chassis.Sometimes you can use a larger,or a longer filter.

I think the trans should be a 4L80E no ?
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If Chris's suggestion on the filter is the case, you can always install a remote filter for greater filtering capacity.

Enjoy your new truck, it's the only Chevy truck I still think is attractive, but who knows for how long?
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Nozzleman,you have a 4L60E,they have used that small filter for quite a while,it seems to do the job,although,i agree id like to see a bigger one too.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pelican - a lot of the dealers and Mfg's frown on installing a remote filter.A lot of the aftermarket kits can actually restrict oil flow,cause aeration of the oil,and even loss of prime.Due to the tight clearances you sometimes need a lot of tight bends,or 90 degree fittings in the hose,which can affect oil flow.

Unless you can get an OEM or dealer approved setup,I'd stay away from a remote filter setup.Especially if you want to keep you warranty valid.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Unless you spend money on a quality kit your biggest problem will probably be leaks.

When I was young I used to put them in the Civics and Integras so that kids could run bigger alternators for their stereos. Only the quality kits seemed to hold up.
  7. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I always wondered why they put those dinky filters on the newer trucks. And on my 350 the filter is horzontal :( makes a nice little mess when i change the oil.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most of the 4WD GM's need the clearance for the front diff,and driveshaft,so they turn the filter sideways,and use the smaller filter.
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

dont know what the new trucks have for filters. A good part man can usually crossreference to get a longer one. A lot of filters share thread and sealing surface dimensions. I would stick a bigger one on if available and use a good filter like delco wix or napas line(made by wix)

and if you stick your oil filter in a ziplock baggy and then remove it you keep the mess from the sideways filter to a minimum. Especially since the oil drains right onto the ujoint and then goes all over the place.
  10. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Thanks for the info ratlover that is a good idea on the plastic bag will hafto try it:drinkup:
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

PH 3980 filter is the longest you can fit on a 4WD truck.Some lube shops stick the smaller filter on sometimes,as it's cheaper,and more common.
  12. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Nozzleman, you're a great guy to buy your wife such a sweet rig! That should score you some pretty good points on the home front :D
  13. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

On my Tahoe the filter is vertical and it has nothing under it so it drains into the pan nicely. I was just very surprised at how small the filter is. I guess I'm just used to the coffee can sized Fleetguards I put on my Cummins.

Also, is there such a transmission as the 4L65E or am I just confused.:confused: :confused:

Plow Babe, I am a lucky guy in the fact that I could give my wife a '77 Pinto and she would love me just as much. However, In my town just about every soccer mom drives either a Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, or an Excursion and due to the fact that most of these women were out of their league driving Honda Accords It only seemed wise to trade in her Maxima so she would at least be on the same playing field should she trade paint with someone else. Additionally, we are expecting our first child in February and the added room will be nice.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Nozzleman,there is a 4L65E,it is used on the GMC denali C3,Escalade,and in a few other 6.0 applications. The corvette uses a version of it as well. I am 99% sure the 5300 comes with the 4l60E only. The 4L65E has more clutch capacity in 3,4 clutch pack,and a few other changes.
  15. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Thank's John.
  16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I like the fact that when I change the oil filter in my truck, the oil runs down and lubes up the u joint! :drinkup: Cant complain too much, the filter is extremely easy to change. Some cars, the filter is in some pretty odd places and its no joy to change, especially when the car comes in hot off the street, and the guy wants to wait for it and you have to put your arm up in a hot motor around hot exhaust pipes. I just shake my head and say, why did they put it there for? LOL! :D Mike