1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tahoe Leveling Kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mab1322, Dec 25, 2009.

1. mab1322

mab1322 Junior Member

I have a 2001 Tahoe LS with a Fish SD Series plow. I'm sitting real low on the front end, I want to add a leveling kit. My question is if I add a 3" suspension leveling kit and 33" tires will I still clear those tires with the plow on? Or will it still sag down even with the leveling kit? Thanks!

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would start by turning up the T-bars, and maybe a product like Timbrens. That plow isn't wicked heavy, but the Tahoes seem to have soft T-bars for a smooth ride.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No leveling kit will get you 3" on a 4wd, regardless of what they claim. I just did one on a Tahoe and maxed out got 1.5". No way will 33's fit with the plow without a lift.

4. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

timbrens shimmed with the leveling kit you should clear those tires.. as long as they are 285s on a stock width rim.. mightttt rub on hard turns. as far as the leveling kit goes, i got 2 out of mine and its an old body style id say 2 to 1.5 is what youll get.

ps.... may need shocks too i ran in to that problem whare they bottomed out

5. mab1322

mab1322 Junior Member

@2cor517, I know the leveling kit comes with heavy duty torsion keys. So with that being said doesnt the leveling kit basically just involve raising the t-bars up a few cranks? Also, If I were to get the leveling kit up front can I still put on a body lift? Or if I went for a body lift alone would that help reduce the sag on the front end or should I go with the leveling kit and a body lift? Also, if a leveling kit would suite my needs best what kind should I go with? This is what I have been looking at... Any insight would be appreciated...Thanks.

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2931A0A0.aspx

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

285's on a stock rim will fit with trimming, 33's won't. 33's are typically either a 10.5 or 12.5 section width, whereas most 285s are narrower, and don't actually stand 33" tall. Trust me, I've done several, and I own an 03. Squeezing them under there isn't the problem, doing it with the plow is.

There are proper ways of doing this, but most people try and go the easy and cheap way out (keys only). Even with shock extenders you lose a lot of travel, and ride. You then wear out balljoints and cv axles prematurely as well.

Trust me, I've done it quite a few times, but it's not the ideal way.

A body lift is a cheaper alternative to fit tires if that's the main thing you want to accomplish.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

H2O is the one to listen to, he has the experience. As far as a "leveling" kit goes, if all they include are keys and shock extenders, you can spend your money better elsewhere.

I would start by turning your t-bars as far as you can/want. This is all the new keys do. Next, Timbrens or the like. If the sag from raising the plow is still excessive, you need heavier T-bars. Once you have the sag handled, figure out what you want to do for tires. Body lift will be the cheapest way out, especially where you have a plow installed.

8. mab1322

mab1322 Junior Member

got-h20, so your pretty confident that with the timbrens and a good trim job I will be able to fit 285's on my stock rims with the plow on? My main goal is not to get a lifted look I'm more interested in saving the life of my suspension... also, i can't seem to find timbrens for my year. Unless I'm just confused but it seems like the timbrens for my year are for coil springs but I'm under the impression I have torsion bars and not coil springs....

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009