1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tahoe in need of a tranny

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by john mc, Jan 24, 2011.

1. john mc

john mc Member

would any of you guys buy a rebuilt Transmission from GM with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty ? My wife's Tahoe has a problem in the valve body and I have changed some parts but the clutch material in the pan don't look good. So i think its best to replace it.Its a 2004 and I can pick it up at the chevy dealer for 1,600 i have a lift to install it.

2. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a bud that ownes a trans shop in Lawrence 01843. Automated Transmission, his name is steve, tell him mike costello sent you..

3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Its got a warranty whats the prob? Hell yes I would buy it. To rebuild would be around same ballpark depending on where you go and with usually only a 1 year warranty.

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

It's the only route I would go. That would be a REMANUFACTURED tranny from GM. Thats different from a rebuild. IMO, a rebuild never comes close to a factory reman 95% of the time. Most rebuild shops only replace enough to get the tranny operational again. It's all about profit margin mostly. There are some reputable rebuilders out there that can rebuild a tranny BETTER than new, but those are few and far in between. I've replaced A LOT of trannys with GM factory remans, they have no problem hitting the 100,000 mile mark. Most rebuilds are lucky to make it the full year. Just my 2 cents.

5. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

You won't get that kind of warrenty from a local tranny shop. I would do it.

Wayne

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

make sure that all lines and cooler are flushed good! do they allow self install for the 3yr warranty?