1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tahoe for plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by medicboot, Mar 23, 2008.

1. medicboot

medicboot Junior Member

Anyone know if you can use a Tahoe for plowing? If so, how well would it do? t would be a late 90's model. Im looking for a running around gas vehicle for the family that would also function as a backup plow truck. I currently use a 2500HD Duramax but would like to park the diesel for running erands with the family? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Theres 1 or 2 guys running around my area with plows on there tahoes. I think they do pretty good pushing snow, and the one guys does some commercail accounts with it.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Tahoe w/ Fisher 7.5ft Rd and you're all set! :)
  4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I've run a Tahoe before, and I will be using a Tahoe as a backup next winter as well. I'm actually considering a Fisher LD to be easier on the front end, but I might do the RD (I prefer the RD as I think it would be much more durable). Essentially the Tahoe is a Chevy 1500 short bed with a cap. My 97 Tahoe didn't seem to need beefing up in the front, but I'd be considering timbrens or a little extra tensioning in the front end.
  5. medicboot

medicboot Junior Member

Excellent thanks for the advise. Imm gonna go look at one today.
  6. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

i run a 96 tahoe with over 130,000 miles on it. Up front i have an 8 foot 29T poly from sno-way. I did do some beefing up, up front...(new shocks....extreme duty from napa..70 bucks for both)....I put timbrens on.....not to excited about those, think theres better ways to spend your money. I also jacked up the Torsion bars a substantial amount. Spent some time on a good front end a alignment and the truck was good to go with about 300lbs of ballast in the back. Plenty of power, good control, and a good set of meat hoofs will get you out of any situation.