1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tactor vs. loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by DaySpring Services, Oct 26, 2010.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'm just curious, can a 100hp tractor with a pusher be as productive as a smaller loader? Will a tractor push the weight or will you just be stuck spinning your wheels?
  2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes & No
    How big of a compact wheel loader?
    L20 Volvo or L45? Both are compact by description, but with different abilities.
  3. DaySpring Services

I'd have to lean towards a l20 to compare apples to apples so to say.
  4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

The tractor will have more power but it's all about weight. Are you talking about your M110?? Some 100hp farm tractors weigh much more than other 100hp farm tractors. I am having problems finding the operating weight of the L20, maybe someone can chime in. A 100hp Farm tractor with FWA and cab will weigh anywhere from 9k to 15K.
  5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

The L20 is small, so it probably isn't an "apples to apples" comparison.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I can't comment because I've never owned a compact loader but I will say a 100hp tractor will hands down out plow a L20. A 6000 series JD weighs about 10k and a small frame 7000 weighs about 12k.
  7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

A loaders design can take more abuse that a tractors loader arms. Its solid structure won't bend if you hit raised manholes or bashing into curbs (un-intentionally) They can load faster, articulate better & stack higher.

Tractors are made for pulling. They both have their advantages.
  8. DaySpring Services

Yeah I'm talking about the M110. I'm planning on using it as a residential machine for now. I was curious how it would handle a 10 foot pusher in a smaller lots if I decide to go that route in the future. Kinda makes me wish I would have kept my Avalanche 8.5' pusher I sold in the spring. I would have like to see how it pushed compared to the bobcat. Pushing with that thing was a nightmare. I'd get about 100 feet and come to a dead stop.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  9. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I have a 9540 Kubota 95hp, put my 12ft Avalanche off my 100hp backhoe on it the last snow of last season. It did ok. Not near as good as the hoe. I have a 10ft Kage blade/box combo setting in the shop to try this year. Should work, probably with weight box on the 3 point.
  10. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

I 2nd Creative Design's post. A loader is a lot stronger structurely. Some loaders have planetary gears, heavy torque conv.'s , etc. But you are now getting into a heavier price range to. My thoughts and opinions for what it's worth.