1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tacoma or fullsize

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by josolar, Mar 31, 2004.

1. josolar

josolar Junior Member
    from Mass

Hi I was hoping to get some opinions.

I currently have a 1996 Toyota Tacoma with 80,000 miles never been plowed. Its in perfect to near perfect condition. 4x4 with V6 SE edition. This is the question. Should I install timbrens and new heavy duty suspension and put on a new plow. Or should I sell the tacoma and use that money and the money I was going to spend on the suspension and new plow to buy a full sized used plow truck. If I were to keep the toyota I was thinking of putting on a western LSX. Any suggestions. Thanks.

I did see a nice shape 1995 f250 with 80,000 miles and a 7.5 fisher that was mounted on at 70,000 for sale in my town for $10,000.

Tacoma @$7,000-8000
    New plow@ $3000 (installed)
    Suspension and timbrens@ $600-800.
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would go with a 3/4 ton the f250 just check it out
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

The tacoma will plow. Western LSX, Fisher LD, would be good, curtis also makes a good plow for tacomas (7' poly). As far as the truck(s) go, It HIGHLY depends on the amount of plowing you will be doing. If you want to do big parking lots then your going to need something more than a tacoma. The Tacoma would be great for residential driveways because of its tight turning radius and it can plow small areas well. Someother mods you should make on the tacoma are an aux trans cooler and a bigger (higher amp) alternator. The F-250 sounds nice too but don't think you need a 3/4 ton or more in all plowing situations. If you decide to use the tacoma there will be plenty of people on this site telling you that the thing will fall apart but IT WON'T if you have the right mods on it. People have told me not to plow with my truck:rolleyes: but i have pushed some major snow with it without a problem.
  4. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Get a real truck 3-5 years down the road you and your wallet will be happy you made the step up.

As many people and company's I know that run trucks and run them hard find all imports to be basicly cars...... Hence there is no Toyota 3/4 or 1 ton, so the truck is made with car parts not truck parts.

You will never see a import on a construction site working, you will never see one pulling a gooseneck or 5th wheel. There is a reason........:redbounce
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like the guys said you can't plow like the big dogs can with a small truck. But they do have their advantages. Your not as wide as they are. Your trucks shorter and lighter for tight areas.
    I worked as a sub for a contractor with condo complexes, using a Bronco II. I did 210 driveways every time it snowed in half the time of the big dogs. The 6' plow fits between parked cars without a problem. I could back onto soft lawns without leaving ruts.
    Just set the Toyota up right so you have less problems.
    I do hope it's an auto trans, 5spd has it's other problems.