1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tacoma or Colorado

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by rick100, Sep 1, 2010.

1. rick100

rick100 Junior Member

Looking for a truck 2 or 3 years old to plow my driveways. Most important is gas millage because I will probably only get under 10 storms at best 10 a year. The rest of the year I need to cut the cost of gas money I'm spending. So I know 3/4 ton best 1/2 next best for plowing but could i get away with a Tacoma or a Colorado crew cab with a light plow and which one would you guys recomend.
    Thanks alot

2. sbt1

sbt1 Member

Skip those and get a Nissan Frontier. Same size but a much better truck. The 4.0V6 in the Nissan will blow away anything in either of those other trucks.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Any plow you put on a small truck is going to be light. This will result in poor back dragging. I would recommend a plow with down pressure.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

or a pullplow/backblade.

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should get a Tacoma with a 7' Boss Sport Duty IMO.

6. Kavu

Kavu Member

I had an 05 Crew Cab Tacoma. I never plowed with it, but it was a good truck.

7. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Disregard....

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Where in MA are you located that you think you'll only be plowing 10 times a year?

When I had a plowing service do my driveway, we were $25 per push and a typicla year had us in the $700-800 range...probably 8-10 storms were multiple visits with a 3" trigger, so thats still around 20 storms a season.

9. rick100

rick100 Junior Member

Worcester area and yes we only get an average of maybe 10 storms I know I'm not going to go just once to the driveway plan on plowing with the storm. I figure if you can do your driveway with a wrangler why not a small truck if I'm the only one using it and not beating on it that's my thoughts i guess.

10. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

My daily driver and driveway plow truck is a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 4 cylinder. I plow in low range. I had a ~10 year old Snowbear blade. When that eventually fell apart, I upgraded to a Snoway ST blade with downpressure. Both are a value for the money. The downpressure on the Snoway is great, though. Go with a lightweight blade.

The 2.7L 4 cyl engine gets me ~24 mpg on the highway at 70mph. I have a buddy with a 2006 Frontier with the V6. I can pull away from him on the hills on the highway. I have a manual and he has an auto.

If you go 4cyl, get the manual. My driveway includes some pitches that are 15-18% grade. My truck gets the job done. I even plow for a few neighbors.

11. rick100

rick100 Junior Member

Thanks That helps