1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tachometer question, 95 f250 with 5.8

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Andy96XLT, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Hello all,
    I just bought a 1995 F250 on Wednesday and along with a transmission gauge I want to add a tachometer to it. The question I have is does anyone know where I plug in the wires for the tach into the distributor? Also to further complicate things the owner put in an MSD cap and rotor (at least I don't think its a full MSD distributor) Can anyone give me some guidance? I can take a picture or two if that would help anyone. Thanks!

2. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

The pulse input for the tach needs to be hooked to the negative (-) side of the coil.

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

or you can get a 6 gauge cluster from a donor truck/bronco and put it in. its all plug and play. you can also swap your old speedo and odomenter to the 6 gauge cluster to maintain accurate mileage. its a lot cleaner than mounting an aftermarket tach.

thats what i did on my 96 f350.

4. lukynskywyrd

lukynskywyrd Member
    from wisc.

just added one to my '86 chevy......

on the distributor cap/coil there will be several wires plugged into the cap from underneath but accessible. To the left is the TACH terminal and it should say TACH on top, atleast the stock ones do. Use a female electrical connector to attach it to the blade contact underneath and attach it to the tach wire on the tach...usually the green wire. Black goes to ground, neg side of battery, red is a 12V ignition off the fuse box and white is usually the gauge lamp. Hope this helps.

5. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Tap in to the wrong wire and you'll fry your new tach and give yourself a good jolt. Ask me how I know...

6. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Okay I'll ask. How do you know?:drinkup:

7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Yeah, my comment was dumb. I hooked one up wrong on my 89 Bronco when I was about 17 and shocked the sh!t out of myself AND fried my brand new tach. I don't even know why I wanted one anyway, but I got another one and hooked it up right. Good thing too because it never came in handy on my automatic truck.

8. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

haha, thanks for the help everyone. I do have an automatic and i am aware I am not going to be using it but I still like to keep an eye on what the truck is revving at. I just ordered a small 52mm tach to go in a pod with my trans temp gauge. They should be here mid week hopefully.

9. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

All,
    I have the hood open right now and there is no specific spot for a tach on the MSD ignition. There is a wire harness that comes out of the MSD piece and connects to the car harness. The car harness's wires are red with a green stripe, black with a green stripe, orange, gray, and black. Does anyone know which one of these wires carries the tach signal? Thanks!!!

10. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

nobody has put a tachometer on there 92-97 ford?? Or am i screwed because of the distributor?

11. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

You need to hook it to the negative side of the COIL,if you turn the key on without starting the truck there should be power to one terminal on the coil and not on the other. Hook it up to the non power side.

12. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Thank you, that helps tremendously!

13. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I am looking at the coil now and it only has the central line coming in from the distributor and than a wiring harness coming out of the bottom of it with 2 wires... are these the two terminals??

edit: just tested both of those wires with the ignition on and both of them had 12 volts going to them so i guess its not that... there are no other wires though??

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010