1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tach instrument cluster swap on '75 GMC

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 75gmck25, Jul 9, 2003.

1. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I have a '75 GMC K25 (350/TH350) that has the instrument cluster with gauges, but without a tach. I found a donor '74 3/4 ton Suburban (400/TH400) and it has a cluster with the tach option.

I pulled the donor cluster, including tach wiring, but the engine was already gone and I'm not sure where the tach input was connected. Also, the donor truck was non-HEI and my truck has HEI.

Do I just connect the cluster tach input to the tach connector on my HEI distributor? Is the input the same for HEI and non-HEI?
    Is there anything else I need to know about the cluster swap? It looks like it will just plug in to my '75 wiring, once I connect the tach wires to power, ground and distributor inputs.

Thanks,

Bruce

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

The cluster should bolt right up.According to the wiring diagrams,the cluster printed circuit is different,but the plug side wiring is the same.It should still work fine.I've done many cluster swaps and had no problem,only had to add the tach wiring.

The tach wire plugs into the dist cap,right beside the Batt connector.It doesn't make a difference for HEI or non HEI,only where they connect.

The tach wire should be the brown wire coming out of the little three prong inst cluster plug.The others are ground (black wire screws to dash bracing behind cluster,and power (pink\blk fed from fuse panel circuit 75,or any key on hot feed).

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite:waving: You will fing alot of nice informative members here. The wyldman being one of them;) will tell ya how to do it. Right Chris?:drinkup:

4. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

wyldman

Thanks for the info. It verifies what I was able to figure out from the wiring diagrams and looking at the two trucks.
    I've been burned before when I didn't make sure it all fit before I took my truck apart and tried to make a swap. I just needed a sanity check before I started on the job. The tach instrument cluster was too good to pass up, and I was afraid it wouldn't be there if I waited too long.

Bruce

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Thanks,I always try to help when I can. :drinkup: