1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tac2Supply/outfitters

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by zztarg, Jan 10, 2009.

1. zztarg

zztarg Member

Anybody have any experience with Tac2Outfitters?

I ordered a light two weeks ago which they promptly charged my credit card for, but I haven't heard a peep from them on the status of my order. I've called a few times and left messages, Nothing.

Are these guys still in business? Are they just slow in responding?

I'm wondering if I should cancel the charge and go elsewhere :mad:

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I just bought 2 Whelen Mini Justices (nearly $1000 sale) and I didn't have any problems. They had to wait for the lights I ordered to be shipped by Whelen, so it took a while, but I never had any communication problem. I always communicated by email. Perhaps you could try that?? Lights also came packaged very nicely, aka lots of bubbly packing stuff to protect the lights.

I dealt with Mike.

tac2@provide.net

3. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

order

What did you order from them?

4. zztarg

zztarg Member

A Whelen Responder LP mini-bar.

I'm hearing Whelen is slow, but I have not received any notification of a backorder. I assumed that Tac2 would have at least some stock (maybe not - the last time I bought lights, I got them off-the-shelf from a truck accessory dealer. That was several years ago, so business practices may have changed).

I've only called so far, maybe I'll try e-mail next. I'm just a little frustrated by the lack of response so far. If I knew when to expect the light, I'd be able to plan. Right now I'm running on a wimpy little beacon I stole off my tractor :eek:

5. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

I'm waiting on the same thing from them and also left messages and sent messages with no response. Said they were back ordered too but thought last week. NO show. Not really excited about communication either since they have my 300 bucks since Dec 16

6. zztarg

zztarg Member

Last night I tried the e-mail address MSS Mow provided above. They responded within a couple of hours on Sunday night. Their explanation was that they are buried from the holiday season and that Whelen shut down from Xmas to New Year's as well. They say they're expecting a shipment from Whelen this week and were very apologetic.

They *did not* say whether or not my order would be in that shipment, nor did they give me any information about how long after they receive the order that it will be shipped to me.

At the moment, I'm cautiously optimistic. It is a little frustrating that they are not too busy to process the payments, but they are too busy to respond to phone calls. Hopefully I'll be posting a glowing report in a week or so :confused:

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Glad to hear you've had some communication with the folks at Tac2 Outfitters. I had sent him an email too just to let him know he had some upset customers that needed to hear from him. Glad he responded to your email.

Hopefully your light will arrive shortly!!

8. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

lightbar

Whelen has been very behind it's been a problem with everyone

9. zztarg

zztarg Member

That may be true, but it has nothing to do with the communications issue.

I also have a problem with charging it through before it ships. You can bet I'll dispute the charge if I don't have the product before I get the bill! Many places don't charge the card until the product ships for exactly this reason.

10. Redsilv03

Redsilv03 Junior Member

I ordered mine from www.galls.com/yahoo, some brand of aramark (service clothes) got nervous today when still didnt get any response about my Code 3 420 mini duel light bar. (its been 5 days) I was charged rate way so I called today and they said it is on backorder they will get next shipment on the 26th of January.... not to happy about that just because they did notify me or anything.

11. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

there is a website elightbars.org where firefighters and police officers post about supplies. Tac 2 posts on there, and are well regarded. They do deal with the axitech brand primarily, while they sell Whelen, I would say they order it from the factory, when they receive an order.

With the economy, some of these businesses may not have the capital, and need the money upfront to place the order.

I think sometimes with the internet we become dependent on pointing and clicking and think a product will be at our doorstep next day.

In reality, it is probably best to call a particular vendor. If someone, can't answer their phone, I probably wouldn't place an order with them in the first place.

12. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

I based my order on others input on here and the fact that Tac-2 showcases a Responder on their web page. I'm sure it could be set up so that if an item is not in stock or not easy to get because of the holidays the customer could be told that and given the option to order elsewhere instead of being charged immediately and then left to wait for weeks without an explanation. But then they would lose sales and thats not good for them. As a customer in need of a product I am willing to pay 300 bucks for when an 80 dollar part will suffice I expect at the very least good communication. I COULD stop payment on my credit card real fast and real easy but I haven't. I'm not really very hard to please but if I didn't answer my phone or return calls in a matter of minutes, I would be out of business.

13. zztarg

zztarg Member

My thoughts exactly.

At the moment, I've been told that they're expecting an order from Whelen this week. I'm assuming that a) when this order comes in, that I'll be notified that it's now being shipped to me or b) that the order is delayed and I'll be updated on the expected arrival date. I'm currently operating under the assumption that they're aware of the customer service problem and are acting to correct it. If that turns out to be a bad assumption, I'll revise my opinion.

As to bam's comment on what's essentially cash flow - everyone in business has that problem. However, what your saying essentially means that whoever is being charged for product that does not yet exist is providing an interest-free loan to the middle man (I'm *not* suggesting that Tac-2 is doing this). That house-of-cards falls apart big-time if orders start getting canceled!

14. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

vlsusa, sirennet, a big warhouse that has stuff in stock. you would of had your light 2-4 days after payment was recieved.

15. zztarg

zztarg Member

Thanks for the tip - I'll keep them in mind if the other deal falls through.

16. vikingfan

vikingfan Junior Member

I would cancel. A great site and awesome company to buy from is awdirect.com. I have ordered lots of equipment, including strobes, from AW Direct. Prompt delivery

17. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Yea, but you are probably just trying to sidetrack me cus your Vikings are out and my Steelers are still in! LOL

18. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

i just ran into the same problem with lshlights, i ordered last Friday, found out yesterday, that it will be another 10 days before they even receive the order to ship to me. Wish there was a way for these places to tell you if something is in stock when you order online. waiting 2 or 3 weeks for something is crazy.

19. zztarg

zztarg Member

There *ARE* ways to verify stock when ordering online. In fact, many places I do business with online will list the available stock along with the product. If you try to order something that's back ordered, they 1) warn you to make sure you're aware, 2) provide an anticipated ship date, 3) notify you if the ship date changes and 4) *DON'T CHARGE* until the product ships.

Some places will even 1) advise you of possible alternative products that are currently in stock and 2) advise you that if part of your order is backordered that you can wait for everything, or split the order and accept an extra shipping charge.

It's not that it can't be done - it IS done. This organization just doesn't do it.

As to canceling, I might be a fool, but I feel that there's a gentleman's "handshake" agreement that my product will arrive and ship this week. In this day and age, I still consider that important. I knew they were closed 12/25-1/5, so I knew (and accepted) that I wouldn't see anything right away. I also suspected that they would need to play a little "catch-up" after the holiday. That's fine - if it's a smallish outfit I'm happy to throw them a couple of bucks and I'm willing to be reasonable.

If hey don't hold up their end, I'll consider the agreement void (and me a fool - again) and will cancel and go to someone that wants my money - even if I pay a few extra $$.

Call me old-fashioned:)

20. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I had similar communication issues with this company. I placed an order for vertex LEDS from them about 2 months ago. I did not hear from them at all, but it went through on my credit card immediately. I emailed them with no response. The second email that I sent, they responded that my items were back ordered and would take a couple weeks. Two weeks went by and I emailed them again. It took them awhile to respond and said it would be a few more days before shipping. I finally did get my items, it just would have been nice if it was clear that they were NOT in stock and it would take longer than a few days.

On the flip side, I had purchased some vertex LEDS a few weeks before that from Ovedio Lights, and I got them within 2-3 days.