1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

T300 will not start

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Ggg6, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I have a T300, all of a sudden it will not crank over. I jumped the starter solenoid and it cranks fine. All the dash lights and grid heater work fine. When I use the key to try to start it all I get is a click of the fuel shut off solenoid opening, nothing else happens. It has been sitting in a heated garage with a min temp of 40 deg. I cleaned and or tightened all of the electrical connections I could find relating to the starter.

2. slade

slade Senior Member

I couldn't be a fuse or something like that could it?

3. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

If it were a car, it sounds like a battery issue, but with skid steers, there's probably some safety device lockout.

Sorry I can't help!:cry:

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

clean your battery termnals up.... it sounds like bad ground

5. Ian

Ian Member

Is there a parking brake or some other safety interlock?

I drive a JCB compact loader that has a switch at the base of the parking brake handle that sometimes doesn't connect. The parking brake will be on with the handle all the way up but sometimes you have to reach down and make sure the switch contact is being closed. It starts right up.

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Thanks for all of the replies. I did check all the starting circuit grounds, and hot leads, even did the old bang on the starter trick. Sprayed electrical cleaner in the plugs and the starter. All safety interlocks were good and no computer codes. It turned out to be a relay that had got water in it and was not working right.

7. Ggg can you help me with a 643 i have the same problem but i can jump to the starter and it wont even crank when i turn the key it just clicks

8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you sprayed electrical cleaner in all the plugs, make certain you go back and re-pack them with di-electric grease. Otherwise they will start to corrode. Skid steers see all types of operating environments. A little bit of that magic grease will help protect that investment.

9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

If you jump from the hot lead to the small wire on the starter solenoid and get nothing then your problem is the starter solenoid. If you just get a clicking sound then it is the starter motor, or the solenoid. If it spins but does not engage the flywheel then it is the bendix on the starter.
    If the starter cranks the engine over in the above scenario then look at the fuse panel, check for bad fuses or bad relays in the starter circuit. Also make sure the safety switch(es) are working properly. I think on a 643 you only have the operator safety bar but I do not even think it will prevent starting the machine just prevents moving it.

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Plow Meister- All the plugs had nothing on the terminals, but I think I might go back and do what you said anyway.

11. Plow Meister

Jumping the hot wire to the small lead COULD be the solenoid. It could also be a short in the hot lead or a corroded battery terminal or a faulty ground.

If you hear a clicking sound it COULD be the solenoid (Not enough of the internal disc making contact so not enough juice to the starter)

If you hear a HARD clicking noise it would more LIKELY be the starter (loud click from the solenoid or the starter fork engaging) or it could be a dying battery or the above short in the hot lead.

there are more possibilities but those three things are what I would look at (Hot wire from batt to solenoid, solenoid, starter).

12. Plow Meister

I probably should have been more specific...
    If they are 'weather pac' connectors and they are clean than leave them alone. Don't bother greasing them. If they are simple rubber connectors than I would apply a thin layer of di-electric grease on them.

13. hey guys got it to work. it was the starter for 350 in the bank