1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

t-case & Rims

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bummerkit, Sep 24, 2001.

1. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

i bought a 79 chevy K30 Bonanza and was wondering what transfer case it has. anyone know? also it has 16in rims on it. will 15in rims fit? thanks for any help.
  2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I believe the K-30 would be a one ton chassis. Does it have locking hubs? I don't know if you would really want to go to 15's on a truck with a ton capacity.

Just my $.02

3. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

It could have a 208 (aluminum case) or a 205 (cast iron case)
    If it is indeed a 1 ton 15" wheels will work but you will have to grind the front calipers and backing plates a bit to make them fit.
    The easiest way to tell the D44 from a D60 (1 ton) is the right side spring pack will have 1 u-bolt and 2 bolts instead of 2 u-bolts.
  4. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

yes i already knew that it was a one ton. but i will look at the tcase and see if it is aluminum. it has locking hubs on it but the owner may have converted it. it has the D60 up front. the thing is i want to go to a 15 in rim for more tire choices. i am building a "Bummer". so the weight wont be a problem. it will be almost two thousand pounds lighter. i was planning on 39.5 in swamper tsl. but you cant get those in a 16 in rim.
  5. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

All you have to do to run 15" wheels is grind the calipers and backing plates.
    How much depends on what the offset will be.
    Alot of guys at CK5 are running this combo and it works for them.
    I just picked up a D44 8 lug front axle to go with the 14B FF and I am going to get these wheels
    I will have to grind a little to make them fit but again alot of folks are running this combo as well.
  6. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

are you talking about the wheel vintiques 15" wheels? thats the same thing that i am going to get! i am going to get the 12" wide ones to fit the tires i am getting. the 39.5x15x15 Super Swamper TSL.
  7. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Gunna drive on the highway with those tires? I had a friend with those exact ones, and something to think about would be springing some extra cash for the radials if you're gunna be on the road at all. The TSL bias plys that big track terribly, it's really hard to make it go straight, and be ready to pay more for the balancing. Just figured I should warn you before you jump. Oh, the tires were absolutely awesome off road, by the way

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Are 15" rims available with 8 lugs? Just curious.

9. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

Yep the wheel Vintiques 82 series white.
    15x10 8 lug with 4" of backspacing. $64 ea.
    Chuck they make these all the way to 15x14 at $84 ea
    I almost ordered another set but they were wagon wheel type.
    And I realy don't like those.
    At first I thought about painting them black but they are powder coated so I will leave them as they are.
    IMO they are the best looking wheel as far as steel wheels go.
    I am putting in an order for them tomorrow and as soon as they get here I am rolling those axles under the K5.
    I can't wait to get rid of those 3:73's and start rolling on 4:10's.
    So far I have spent just over $500 upgrading to 4:10's.
    14FF-$50, D44 HD-$200 and the wheels around $275 with shipping.