1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

T-Boned by a Deer at 45mph...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Badgerland WI, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Badgerland WI

Badgerland WI Senior Member

So, I'm driving down HWY-33 tonight, just entering town (pulling my 24' trailer), and a large deer comes up to the road. I did make it out early and started to slow down, but it didn't appear as it was going to cross the highway. WRONG... :realmad: He slowly went to the middle of the road as the guy in front of me swerved. I hit the brakes and went half on to the shoulder as he deiced to bolt across my lane. My split-second instinct was to accelerate to try and clear him. THUD! He T-boned my truck right at the driver's-side dually fender causing some splintering before he was pulled-under the duals then blasted by the trailer tandemns as it was launched airborne by the carcass....

Here's kinda the eerie part...

I'm sure I don't need to explain this permanent imprint in my paint job but the deer's eye left that perfect scratch pattern (as well as the antler scratch above). It was surreal seeing a 2800lb trailer that high off the road in my rear-view as the guy behind me was on the binders. The real damage was at the rear wheel-well with cracks and splintering where the body impacted.

I'm just happy I didn't take this monster in the grille! :cry:
  2. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Jeez. Sounds like a rough day for the both of you.

Edit: Terrible day for the deer*

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

lol dang thats crazy looking.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

At least no one was hurt.

I also had a deer run into the side of my truck. It caused over $3k in damage. What really makes me mad is that my insurance company has it recorded that I hit the deer. I tried unsuccessfully to convince them that the deer hit me!
  5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That looks really crazy!
  6. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Thats crazy, atleast it didn't totally jack up your truck.
  7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

that sounds bad but the best part is you can see were his eyes just blaster you dullie wells! thats great glad noone was hurt sucks for the dear though!
  8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Deer can cause some damage to a truck. Two years ago coming home from bailing hay I hit one at almost 75mph in my jeep Grand Cherokee, Hit him square with the bumper/grille/hood and drove right over him.That dear trashed the jeep and ruined my brand new jeans lol. Luckily it didn't come through the windshield.
  9. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

LOL I'm sure it would have been gravy to convince them that it hit you, if only the deer was insured so they could sue its insurance company ;)

Glad no one was hurt.... Is your trailer OK?
  10. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Damn. Where did you have that happen at? About a year and a half ago I hit a deer pretty much head on doing about 35 or so and trashed the whole front end of my Blazer, not a good day by any means.
  11. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

That's nuts, I just showed my roommate the picks and we were cracking up. I cant believe the eye left that mark on the truck.
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This is why you need a v plow !
  13. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

V plow doesn't necessarily help. Smacked a doe two years ago on pass. side with 9-2 folded back. Still took out the whole box side when she spun around. Boxes are kind of flimsy. Had just replaced the whole box previous year for the second time after being rear ended. :realmad: Wish she would have hit the cab door it's starting to rot at the bottom. Maybe this year I'll get lucky?
  14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I can't tell if there's damage there or not, but I can say your lucky :nod:
  15. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

we want to see the deer you know you turned around and looked
  16. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

need one of those bull bumpers(or a off road winch bumper) then you aim for the deer and ake whats left to the butcher shop(call DNR first though)...
  17. Badgerland WI

Badgerland WI Senior Member

Yeah the trailer survived the impact without damage... just seems that one side is suddenly "furrier" than it used to be. Luckily, I was unloaded at the time with the impressive air time.

I'm mounting wings (deer deflectors) on the side of the truck like a highway plow tomorrow. :dizzy:

Lucky, yes... the damage is concentrated on the left dually fender (just out of the pictures). All-in-all, no where near as bad as it could've been with a front-end hit.

Nope, didnt turn around (because of the location - State highway / 2 lanes in a dark section). But from just what I witnessed in my rear view mirror in the headlights of the guy behind me, the deer lost that battle. I would be seriously surprised if it moved 2" from where it finally came to rest after that thrashing. I'm gonna stop back over there today in the daylight to see the extent of the new pavement markers. Then off to the bodyshop for estimates...:realmad:
  18. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

One hit me in my car on the drivers side on the drivers door. Bashed the door in and the deer spun around and took out the rear of the car. The insurence adjuster had a hard time beliving that the damage was from a deer. Then I pointed out the deer fur still stuck on the molding. $4000 in damage!
  19. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Speed up and try and clear him with a 24' trailer? Am I missing something?
  20. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Man, that sucks... I hope he had insurance... haha