1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

T bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevyHDkid45, Dec 26, 2008.

1. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

My buddy just bought a 2002 HD it looks like they had previously tightened the torsion bars. I am wondering if you took the bolts all the way out and tightened them back to the stock height how many turns it would be from the beginning. It would be a great help.

Thanks
    Nick

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

It doesn't work like that. It will be different from side to side you need to measure from the the frame to the floor. I'm sorry I don't know the correct height. You should be able to get something from a body/frame shop.

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Put it where u want! Just make it the same on both sides Measure from fender to level ground if u want.

4. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

yeah just trying to figure out the stock height to know if the previous owner has them cranked to much. Were trying to set it back to stock then go up 3 turns

5. brad96z28

U cant crank them to much! Atleast not with stock keys.

6. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

ive always herd that if you crank them to much your going to have to get everything re aligned or get shock mount extensions

7. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

If you move them at all you should get an alignment. If the tires are wearing evenly the guy must have had it aligned after doing it. I would say leave it where it is.

8. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Alright, here's the deal - there are about 18 different cab/bed/FAWR combinations in the Silverado line. Each one has a different level of adjustment, and a different "starting point." Your question is open-ended and has no actual answer. To give you a good start, the CV shafts are just about level (angled down/out by about 5 degrees) when the suspension is at stock height. The general limit for cranking your torsion bars without ruining the ride is to have no less than 3/4" between the droop stop and the contact plate on the upper control arm. That generally works out to be 3 to 4 full turns (from the stock position) for most people. The best way to tell is by using the CV shaft and the UCA / droop stop for reference.

EDIT: There is a formula for the "z-height," but I've found that even following the specs, the height is too much - meaning that from the factory, the truck sits lower than Chevrolet says it could.

9. brad96z28

My boss that specializes in allignments said turning the t bars changes the allignment very very little! But what does he know doing them for more then 30 years. Ive never see Running out of shock travel with stock keys. I see them all the time with the left key bottomed.And no problems.

10. brad96z28

I have turned mine several turns sicne I bought my truck, And also put new tires on it and it wont even cross my mind to put it on the allignment rack.

11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Not sure about the older rigs, but with the NBS, the shock will run out of travel... Mine overextend and make a heck of a bang when it happens...Dealer turned them up 4 turns for me and they warned me about the shock travel...I didnt bother with the shock extenders. Cant wait till the shocks go south so I can install Bilsteins.....ussmileyflag

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I just had my truck aligned. I started with 1/2 inch toe in. No wonder my previous tires didn't last.......

Anyhow, we cranked up the bars an inch on both sides. Toe in went to 13/16". So i would say cranking the bars affects alignment. $45 for an alignment to save $350 worth of tires is good economics to me. Plus it handles much better now.

13. brad96z28

So 1/2 toe so obviously cking with a tape Since not in degrees. And should have been more like an 1/8 so it was off a crap load to begin with. I have seen the t bars adjusted personally with the allignment heads on it doesnt change that much.

14. alaska blue ox

alaska blue ox Junior Member
    from Alaska

as an old alignment tech I can tell you that messing with the ride height is not a good idea. I have seen many people trying to raise or lower their chevy with the t-bars and this changes the camber drastically, sometimes to the point of no longer having enough adjustment left to correctly align the vehicle. it will change the toe also but usually not a large amount. the best bet is to install lift kits or lowering kits if that is what you want. if you are adding a plow and trying to maintain your ride height you should take before and after measurements and adjust accordingly.

15. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

My plow dealer had to put 8 turns on my truck for the plow to line up. So I turn it back down for the summer and back up in the winter when I have the plow on. So far, two years, no adverse affects.

16. brad96z28

Alaska is more on track that it will change camber more then toe but i still stand behind that it is definitly not a huge effect.Next time we have a 2500hd on the rack I will get some exact degree numbers per turn of the t bars.

17. alaska blue ox

alaska blue ox Junior Member
    from Alaska

make sure to bounce the truck after cranking on the adjuster bolts so you get a more realistic ride height change per turn.