1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

t-bars and timberns

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 03mossy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

i have a 04 2500hd crewcab, just had a western ultra mount 8' pro plow poly installed, i thought i was good to go till i started reading around on here more, the dealer said nothing about timbrens but a guy on here said they get put on almost all chevy's (i am looking into them). can i just cranks the t-bars a little more or are timbrens the way to go? i love my truck and my livelyhood depends on it so i don't want to wreck anything, i need some more advice. and about how much ballist weight do you think i need? thanks for the help!

2. Subicbay

Subicbay Junior Member

I think you answered it yourself: For the $179.00 you will be loving your truck even more.

3. drumbo

drumbo Member

We just tighten up the T-bars during the snow season and then let them back down. It only takes 5 minutes or so. If you wanted to, you could do it when you get ready to plow for an event. Quick process. You should probably get some keys (leveling kit) for it as well. Ebay for around $90.00 as well.

Anyone else use this method?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your stock keys will most likely be just fine. The timbrens are a good idea but I have not had them on my 02 since new and I have not had one problem with the front end.

5. scaper27

scaper27 Member

I did put the Timbrens on my 99 2500 and it really doesn't sag with the 8 ft plow at all. And the ride hasn't changed that i could notice either.

Cranking the bars is really bad for the front end. Trust me.

6. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

how much ballist weight do you think i should run?

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

There is much debate on this subject. It depends on where you put the weight, how often you have the plow on or off, how much driving you do with the truck other than plowing. I tend to be conservative on extra weight and only run a little (200-300 lbs) at the rear of the box. But you don't want to run to much weight this way if you run without the plow alot. As to timberins, I hear they work great, but have never used them. But I also only run 7.5 plows.

8. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

96 GMC crew cab, 6.5 T/D 810 blizzard, and I too took the cheap way buy cranking up the T-bars, that is until i had tp replace a few front end parts, including the badly worn tires and the ride was so nasty.... SO, I spent the $ on Timbrens, love them- the truck rides nice loaded or un loaded.. that is the way to go.

and

Ballast depends on how much is hanging off the front, GAWR, GVWR and etc etc.. check w/ your plow dealer, most of them have a tool that can calculate how much and where to put it- safest bet.

9. Yamahaluv

Yamahaluv Junior Member

I ran my 02 without for a year and then the next year i put them on. I will never run without them again. Huge difference.

10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I just saw them in Mill Supply that came with the recent SNOW for $162. I think that just made the difference, I am going to get some. Think of it as preventive maintenance, less crap to replace because it got over stressed from the plow.

11. 4speed

4speed Member

Last year I took the timbrens off of my truck and just put 4 turns on my t- bars. Took the turns back out in the spring. In fact I just went out this morning and spent 5 mins. turning them back up. It takes very little effort and if you don't go nuts and turn them way up it will not effect your ride or cause tire wear.
    I know someone will jump all over my a$$ now, but I recomend you try it first. I'm sure you will be satisfied with the results and you'll have an extra $160 in your pocket. Here is a very informative page about t- bars. I highly recomend you read the whole thing .
    http://www.offroad-tech.com/tech/tb401/

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I just installed the firestone air bag over blistien shock combo. I will report on how they work.
    Dino

13. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I Have a 2002 2500 HD with an 8 foot fisher and today i spent the 3 min cranking the t-bars up 3 turns and i measured it before and it is 1 1/2 inches higher and im sure it's stiffer. Helps in a hurry....

14. Lee-Way

Lee-Way Junior Member

I running t-bars cranked and timbrens this year.

Just spend the money on Timbrens you'll never look back.

15. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i just got a key leveling kit from pro comp and have always had my t bars tightened . i also leave mine tightened all year around. it works great but i would recommend an alignment .